Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wp profile stuck at 8.3mbits

krusty
Rising Star

Wp profile stuck at 8.3mbits

HI,

I've recently had issues with ppp disconects which then resulted in a stale session - which meant a manual disconect by me. Anyhoo we have mostly got something that works atm. I'm now suspecting a tree branch that is actually touching the end of the drop wire(multiple lines into how - via single dropwire) to be cause.

Plusnet have been mostly good except for one person demanding to send out a new router - and also saying pn don't give the various graphs that you normally provide either on here or in a question when there is fault.

The problem now is that due to the issues above whilst the line sync is 14.8mbits my profile is on 8.3mbits. I was told a request to reset this would happen. I would have thought this wouldn't have taken a week to do .

question #190353169 for reference.

Normally i wouldn't have posted this here but i'm just tad frustrated.

8 REPLIES 8
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Wp profile stuck at 8.3mbits

Hi @krusty, we're sorry to hear you're having broadband issues and the experience you had with one of my colleagues.

I've had a check of the connection and there definitely seems to be something out of place somewhere as we can see the disconnections from this side.

Although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of getting an engineer out to investigate further. Let us know how it goes.

In terms of the profile speeds, I have changed some settings to see if this would make a difference, please reboot the router for this to take effect.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
krusty
Rising Star

We have already gone through the test troubleshooting. I'm currently connected via the test socket. The ideal situation is probably for me to replace my 2 year old wifi router - that said a wifi router of that age to have ppp disconects is weird.

The ppp disconnects is something i can live with atm (as long as i don't get stale ppp sessions). i'm more concerned about profile speed being nearly half of the line speed.

current tests

hg612 and archer c2 (currently on) ppp disconects from this year (got worse in the last two months)

eci modem and archer c2 - ppp disconects

hg612 and tg582 - ppp disoncets

eci and hg612 and a router/switch/storage unit wd mynetn990c  - uptime of 3 days.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @krusty.

The reason your profile has dropped is that the sync speed of your modem had dropped to around 9mbps.

From what we can see it's increased now to 14mbps and we've dropped your connection so you've picked up the new profile @Beyhive applied.

Let us know how you get on

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
krusty
Rising Star

It did sync down to 9mbits for a short while around late may when i changed over to the eci modem, and it went back up to 14mbits about 6 days 9 hours 40 minutes 18 seconds ago (actually longer since that uptime was since a short power cut).

I was informed that a dlm request would be put in a Monday last week .. 

krusty
Rising Star

Just picked up the new profile here.

I assume normally when a new profile is applied the PPP session is terminated ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @krusty 

I was informed that a dlm request would be put in a Monday last week 

While your line is banded at 55mbps as this is way above your actual sync rate this wouldn't be affecting your speeds and we'd struggle to request a DLM reset as the banding needs to be restricting your speeds in order to request one.

Just picked up the new profile here.

Glad to hear that! Thumbs_Up

I assume normally when a new profile is applied the PPP session is terminated ?

Not all the time. Sometimes we'll need to manually drop the connection or you'll need to reboot your router.

I can see a faults adviser is currently working on your fault and he'll update you via your ticket 190353169 soon regarding the next steps. I suspect we'll need to arrange a broadband engineer to investigate further.

Please do feel free to let us know how it goes or if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
krusty
Rising Star

While your line is banded at 55mbps as this is way above your actual sync rate this wouldn't be affecting your speeds and we'd struggle to request a DLM reset as the banding needs to be restricting your speeds in order to request one.

Nonetheless i did inform PN that the profile was at 8.3mbit/8,7mbits a week last monday and i assured that would be dealt with.. Yet I had to come on here to get it sorted. Yet it was done within hours of it being picked up by your college. I've always been fair on here - where customers have been not good i've stood up for PN and vice versa.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry that the profile change wasn't carried out when you contacted us.

I'll be sure to arrange for feedback to be passed onto the adviser.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet