cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wonder if i made a mistake here...

highlightshadow
Hooked

Wonder if i made a mistake here...

My service has been active for just a week but i'm yet to get close to the product i paid for...

Seems like one thing after another... had about 3 or 4 cases open already ... each doing a different thing ... been on too slow provision, then profile changed, now it seems i'm on proper provisioned service but still being limited to just 2mbit up (syncing at 20)

Cooling off period approaching and wondering if its worth sticking it out since the latest case i was told takes 3 days to investigate....... takes me to within maybe a day.

12 REPLIES 12
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Wonder if i made a mistake here...

Hi there,

Sorry you're having problems with your connection speed.

Testing your line is showing that it's now in sync at the correct speeds however the profile seems wrong, can you run a BT Speedtest for me, ensuring you do the further diagnostics test after the first one completes. This stores the results on the supplier system and allows us to use this to report the fault. Unfortunately this doesn't yet appear to have been completed.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 65.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 261.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 12:45 to 13:00
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 4
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2017-02-01T15:30:00

Your cooling off period has elapsed I'm afraid, this starts from the date of signup not the date of activation. It's intended to be there in case you change your mind about ordering the service, not as a way to test the service.

Let me know once you've been through the speedtest and I'll pick up the fault ticket for you.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
highlightshadow
Hooked

I also have question 143929491 open which is supposed to be in the process of being escalated

I have tried to run the BT Wholesale speedtest w/ further diagnostics but it always comes up with an error (seems from this forum that it's common) so i cannot do this... wish i could

I ran speedtest.net and btwholesale speedtests this morning and am getting around 56Mbit down and just a fraction over 2mbit up.

I can post a precise screenshot when i get home from work in a couple hours...

highlightshadow
Hooked

SPEED1.PNGSPEED2.PNG

ok managed to get Wholesale diags run.... result attached

SPEED3.PNG

Still seems to sync ok but only getting 10% of the upload throughput

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@highlightshadow

This may seem a silly question but what service have you signed up for ?

The upload on "unlimited fibre" is capped, the upload on "unlimited fibre extra" is not.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/38Mbps-product-now-only-2Mbps-upstream-maximum/td-p/12...

I am the satisfied customer....
highlightshadow
Hooked

Extra mate Smiley

SPEED4.PNG

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

It just seemed the obvious answer !

Stick with it, there must be a fault in your provisioning as Unlimited Fibre Extra is capable of working very well.

speedtest 14-02-17.png

This is the speed test on my connection taken just now.

I am the satisfied customer....
highlightshadow
Hooked

Curious that it shows my ISP as 'BT' whereas on yours it shows 'Plusnet'

Odd

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@highlightshadow wrote:

Curious that it shows my ISP as 'BT' whereas on yours it shows 'Plusnet'

Not especially. PN is owned by BT and it's likely/possible they have borrowed or been gifted some of their IP address blocks. Either they haven't yet notified the various geolocation services or they in turn are slow to update their databases.

It would make sense for them to switch to getting blocks via BT because that's a possible cost saving. One less thing for PN to have to organise for themselves. It also allows the two ISPs to coordinate and allocate addresses more efficiently.

Chris
Legend

I've retested your line and the fault has been reported through for more investigation. The next step would be to arrange an engineer visit, so if you can reply to the fault ticket with the information asked we can get this moving.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
highlightshadow
Hooked

Thanks... responded on the case - basically can be any slot, any time we'll make sure someone is in

Out of curiosity, when i switched from Sky > Plusnet does it involve making changes at the local exchange/box or anything?

I was rock solid with 40 down /10mbit upstream on my previous provider ok ... so just wondered if wires had moved to make the switch to cause a problem.

Chris
Legend

I was rock solid with 40 down /10mbit upstream on my previous provider ok ... so just wondered if wires had moved to make the switch to cause a problem.

That's interesting as that's one of the issues I've highlighted on the fault, the profile still seems set to 40/10 (although you're obviously seeing much more on the download).

Thanks for your time on the phone, I've updated the ticket with the confirmed appointment.

highlightshadow
Hooked

Hmmm..

So openreach claim to have done nothing (other than plugged his test equipment in and run various test or whatever)

But miraculously its all working fine now..... i've changed nothing on my setup here but now getting normal speeds....

Am i going to get charged for this regardless?