cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless speeds very slow

Paul27

Wireless speeds very slow

If I run my laptop connected to the router with a ethernet cable it is running at about 35 Mbps but wireless the speed drops right down to about 12 Mbps.The laptop is located upstairs directly above the router.The router is set at 2.4Ghtz I believe I need to change it to 5.0Ghtz is that correct.Will that increase the speed.

4 REPLIES 4
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Wireless speeds very slow

Yes 5ghz much faster as long as the devices synced to it are 5ghz capable; some older
devices are only on 2.4ghz channel.
Paul27

My laptop is capable of receiving 5.0GHz signals as I have just spoken to Asus who made it

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Paul27

To get the best advice it's best if you confine a problem to a single topic. Very often, especially with Apple devices, speed will suffer if the two wireless bands are syncronised. If you separate them as described in response to your other post then you may find that it fixes your problem. Just try both bands and see which is best.

If that doesn't do the trick then do come back here and further advice will be forthcoming.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Paul27, the 5GHz is better for devices used in a closer range to the router (and stationary), the 2.4GHz has a wider range.

As @Baldrick1 advised, if you separate the frequencies you can then pick whichever works better for each device you use.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team