cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless speed issues

allspeed

Wireless speed issues

Morning all, I went fibre around 6 weeks ago and its doing my head. Previously we had a good stable non fibre service, around 13 down, .3 up.  We upgraded to fibre and from the word go its been up and down, more down most times on the wireless side. I left it to settle but the issues worst than ever now. The router shows 100 mb at the ethernet, and the only devicd connected by ethernet offers a fast 75 down 20 up connection, but the wireless is awful.
it seems its generally between 1mb to 3mb down on the wireless side, which is far worse than before I upgraded.  Its not possible to use the ethernet all round the house, so could it just be a setting to change on the router ?

9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Wireless speed issues

try using a different fixed wireless channel, if it's set to automatic it may be causing issues.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
allspeed

Thanks for that, is there a link as to how to do that on the thompson tg fibre router ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Some extra info/advice in case it helps.
There's s Windows command which shows you the details of any wireless signals within the range of your PC's wifi adapter. The information this gives you shows you which channel each is on so that you can choose a different one and avoid interference.
To do this you'll need to:

• Open a command prompt (start, run, type CMD, hit enter)

• In the command prompt window type "netsh wlan show networks bssid" and hit enter

• This will then show you the networks in your area and the channel that others are on 

• Pick a channel that isn’t being used but avoid using a channel that is the next consecutive from other channels that people are on. For example if the other connections are on channels 1, 6, and 11 – good channels to be on are 3, 4, 8, 9, 13 

Please let us know how you get on if you decide to give this a try!
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That's "interesting" since I thought the general advice was for everyone to stick to channels 1, 6 and 11, to avoid partially overlapping channels which would be worse than sharing the same channel.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

@ejs  I generally use the "in-between" channels without problems and, before re-siting the router, had my neighbour on the same channel. However, apart from the neighbour, all the channels were -95dB vs better than -75dB Roll_eyes
Based on my neighbour's device, "auto channel select" seems to pick the strongest signal to match (it followed every change I made), but not any more now my router is further away (lower signal strength) Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
allspeed

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Some extra info/advice in case it helps.
There's s Windows command which shows you the details of any wireless signals within the range of your PC's wifi adapter. The information this gives you shows you which channel each is on so that you can choose a different one and avoid interference.
To do this you'll need to:

• Open a command prompt (start, run, type CMD, hit enter)

• In the command prompt window type "netsh wlan show networks bssid" and hit enter

• This will then show you the networks in your area and the channel that others are on  

• Pick a channel that isn’t being used but avoid using a channel that is the next consecutive from other channels that people are on. For example if the other connections are on channels 1, 6, and 11 – good channels to be on are 3, 4, 8, 9, 13  

Please let us know how you get on if you decide to give this a try!

ok so I di0d this which just showed me on automatic channel 6 and another user on channel 1.  Ive reset mine to manuall channel 11 but result is the same 75 on the ethernet and under 2mbs both ways on wireless.
should I change the selection back to automatic.?
adie:green fixed quote
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: PeeGee
@ejs   I generally use the "in-between" channels without problems and, before re-siting the router, had my neighbour on the same channel. However, apart from the neighbour, all the channels were -95dB vs better than -75dB Roll_eyes
Based on my neighbour's device, "auto channel select" seems to pick the strongest signal to match (it followed every change I made), but not any more now my router is further away (lower signal strength) Shocked

Do you think yours is the only network the neighbour's device can detect?
allspeed

Well its sorted, while i waited for my ticket to be answered i checked my old router that i used before i went fibre, it was the same number but was missing a red peice of tape from one of the rear sockets. So i fitted it, however i was unable to log into the router with my old password. I tried for 15 mins or so and admitted defeat and fitted the newly supplied router that came with the fibre upgrade.  Once the router has settled and found a signal it was straight away up to 45 mbs/25 up.  It can only have been a poor connection, the red tipped wire does seem a very iffy fit, it neither plugs in or come out nicely so i suspect that was the culprit. But now its working properly im leaving well alone.
Fingers crossed tthe fibre connection remains as stable and reliable as my pre fibre was.
Cant help thinking though that plusnets assistance when there is a problem needs addressing, its frustrating and time consuming, tainting an otherwise excellent provider.