cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless router

Ds8854

Wireless router

Hi all
I'm a tech ignoramus, so please bear with me....
I have plusnet fibre and bought a tp-link tl wr841n router to replace the one supplied by plusnet as the range didn't seem great.
But I can't get it to connect despite following the instructions. I have a bt openreach modem.
Can anyone help?
Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Wireless router

Are you trying to use the 'Quick Setup' as described in page 12 of the user manual?
http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/document/TL-WR841N_V8_User_Guide.pdf
In step 2, choose 'PPPoE'
When you are prompted to enter your username and password in step 3, remember that you must enter your full plusnet username.
eg. if your username is 'myname', then you must type in   'myname@plusdsl.net'  (without the quotes) into the username box.

If you do not wish to use the Quick Setup, then from the main menu, choose Network -> WAN
Then edit the settings to look like the attached picture by completing the highlighted sections.  When you press the Connect button, hopefully you will establish a connection to Plusnet.
You may also wish to click on the Advanced button and check the MTU Size setting.  It should be set to 1492 (The manual quotes a default of 1480)

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Ds8854

Thanks so much!
I'll have a go and post back if it doesn't work.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Personally, I use "connect on demand" with 0 idle time. This allows a manual session disconnect with a controllable  variable length delay before manually (or automatically if internet access is attempted) re-connect - effectively providing a combined "connect manually" and a (delayed) "connect automatically" without the drawbacks of the individual settings Wink It was useful a short while ago during the connection problems as it doesn't continuously attempt to re-connect and cause a lock-out state Roll_eyes
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.