Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless router vs PLusnet Hub One

howiemartinez
Dabbler

Wireless router vs PLusnet Hub One

Hi all,
Apologies if this has been discussed before.
Currently own a TP-LINK Archer D20 AC750 Wireless Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem Router. Today we received our Plusnet Hub One modem in advance of our Fibre connecting this week.
Is is any advantage in connecting them both together? Or does the Hub One do everything the TP-LINK router can?
Thanks in advance
Howie
7 REPLIES 7
Timalay
Grafter

Re: Wireless router vs PLusnet Hub One

Not to sure what you are asking, but I'll try my best.  The Hub One One is essentially a BT Home Hub 5, so it will work with ADSL, if you want to use to it while waiting to switched over to fibre. You shouldn't need to connect them together.  
You won't be able to use your TP-Link Modem Router on Fibre.
howiemartinez
Dabbler

Can I definitely not use the TP-Link router on our fibre? How come?
cedlor
Grafter

You cannot use your  TP-LINK Archer D20 AC750 Wireless Dual Band ADSL2+ Modem Router  on FTTC
The clue is in the name of the machine. It only has an adsl Modem so cannot decipher Vdsl signals.
Perhaps it would work if you had the old engineer installed Fttc then you would have a BT Modem that it could connect to
using the wan/lan connection.
Maybe that would still be possible in that you could connect the wan/lan to the RED wan socket on the Hub one but
I am not sure why you would want to do that.  The Hub one should have similar functionality as the TP-link
I dont know enough about extending a network connecting by a wan cable - perhaps someone else will chime in on that aspect.
Why did you want to connect the two together
howiemartinez
Dabbler

I'm trying to find a work-around to enable Airplay play without lag or choppy video.
I was hoping that I can connect my Archer router (or maybe link my router to the modem) so I can disable WMM on the router. PN customer support cannot advise.
Any thoughts or ideas about how I could make it work?
(Btw - the description on the Amazon vendor page said it would work with Fibre)
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Having just had a look at a manual for your router, it has a WAN port, so you could connect that to a LAN port on the hub, however the IP addresses may be the same, so you would need to change the range on one of the routers.
The WAN port on the hub is to connect to a modem.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I doubt disabling WMM would help. Most likely, all that will do is slow down the wireless, probably disabling 11n mode and dropping it back to 11g.
See: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30938-dont-mess-with-wmm
You could use the TP-Link as an additional wireless access point if you disable DHCP on the TP-Link, and then connect a cable from a LAN port on the TP-Link to a LAN port on the Hub One.
howiemartinez
Dabbler

Disabling WMM was the advice on the Apple Support forum.
Anyway, I've fixed this by connecting the router directly to Apple TV by ethernet - it means more cables, but it at least it has got rid of the lag/choppy video.
Thanks for all the advice though Smiley