cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless issues 2704n router

gwagstaff
Dabbler

Wireless issues 2704n router

As mentioned in the post by ceedy I am having issues with wireless on the 2704n.
There doesnt appear to be any resolution from PNet in that forum item hence the need to raise the issue again here.
As previously mentioned channels have been changed many times. The router is in same room as tablet etc so not a distance issue.  Wireless is dropped many times during day etc and either reconnects automatically or fails with authorisation error even though after a router power cycle the same device reconnects. Ethernet connections are not affected and work perfectly.
Can PNet please respond with a resolution.
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Wireless issues 2704n router

If you're OK to hang on until Monday I'd like to try a remote firmware upgrade.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gwagstaff
Dabbler

Yes thats fine. Thankyou Adam.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for your patience, I'm just picking this up now. You might notice a brief disconnection and some flashing lights whilst things reboot.
The update has completed now so please let me know if that's helped.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gwagstaff
Dabbler

Thankyou Adam. I will monitor over the next few days and let you know.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi gwagstaff, how are things looking?
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
gwagstaff
Dabbler

Well Adam I had just written you a reply to say everything had much improved and that the upgrade to firmware to 7.275.2 had been successful. However when I came to post that reply the wireless connection to my Samsung tablet had gone down in the meantime as well as my Sony phone and also my wifes Nexus tablet and Sony phone.
It was back to the original problem  where nothing could reconnect although the network was visible.  I have just had to power off/on the router to enable wireless access again. The wireless light on the router was on prior to the power recycle.
So I am afraid nothing has improved.
Out of interest the uptime in helpdesk router screen prior to my reset above was only showing about 18 hours although the router had not been touched since your upgrade.
gwagstaff
Dabbler

I had to reboot the 2704n twice last night to enable wireless devices to connect.
Just looking at the uptime some 15 hours since the last reboot it shows a value of 5 hours. Why is this? Does this mean the router is re-cycling itself. I have been out for some time today so I wouldn't have noticed this event.
I would have expected a response to my previous message by now fron PN support.
gwagstaff
Dabbler

TO PLUSNET SUPPORT :-
Do not send any further firmware files to the router. The 2704n has been replaced by a Cisco Linksys router.
I shall be contacting a manager within Plusnet regarding the inferior quality of the 2704N which is obviously unsuitable for the purpose it was intended for.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

For the record the 7.275.2 firmware has absolutely no changes that would make the slightest difference to Wireless. see this post. There are other posts on the hardware board about configuring the 2704n. This router has limited ability with the Plusnet firmware.
sirhc
Dabbler

The 2704n router with the crippled plusnet software is a pile of rubbish, especially with the wireless. I'm running with the 7.273.1 firmware.
I have 2 iphones hooked up to the wifi, one authenticates fine and gets onto the network, whilst the other one has trouble rejoining the secured network after the first time, and sat there for ages with the spinning wheel rather than the tick appearing straightaway on the wifi settings on the iphone. All sat next to the router, so it can't be an issue with the penetration of the signal.
Initially, I thought it was an issue with something i'd done (as I had tinkered with the config to change the network IP range) and had stuffed up one of the settings whilst tinkering, but upon resetting the config to default, and starting from scratch on the default IP range, I had the same issue but the problem switching from one phone to the other! Aha, and so began the search to see if I could have more than one wifi device on my network  Roll_eyes
The 'fix'? I had to allocate it a static IP to the troublesome phone in question in the expert settings and register the MAC address.
Yes it's a bodge and doesn't address the issue that the wifi is naff, but it'll get pretty annoying having to register everyone's MAC address and give them an IP address everytime they come round and want to use the wifi.
So try a bit of that if you're having problems with wifi devices not attaching to the network.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm not having that particular issue with smart phones, but otherwise your comments about the firmware are about right  Wink