cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless issue?

Crimson

Wireless issue?

Hi everyone   Smiley
At the moment I am on infinity  with BT  but have moved to Plusnet, being activated on the 17th.
I stream a lot through my TV and have been getting a lot of lost connections and it is driving me the wall!, it's always at the best bit of the film lol, anyway I have come to the conclusion that it is the wireless as when I have hardwired I don't seem to have problems,
Would I be better getting my own router such as the RT-N56U? would it solve the problems do you think?
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Wireless issue?

why not use a homeplug instead
Crimson

Hi Oldjim
I have homeplugs but my daughter uses them a lot for her Playstation, and would rather have completley wireless for the TV if possible due to shortage of sockets!
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Some are now available with mains pass-through - I never understood why this wasn't a feature on all of them!
Joshc
Grafter

Good afternoon ,
Good suggestion Oldjim.
I use home plugs at home and they do the job perfectly  for me.
Smiley
sjptd
Grafter

You can get HomePlugs that also work as wireless switch; more expensive but may be right for you.
Crimson

Thanks everyone
I didn't realise passthrough homeplugs were available
I'll have a look Smiley
JHewess
Grafter

I use homeplugs at home too, and they're pretty good.
While a wired / homeplug connection would certainly be preferable, going back to the wifi thing for a moment though, have you tried changing the router's wireless channel? The drop outs might be caused by interference from neighbouring connections slowing everything down. A free app such as Wifi Analyser will show you the connections in your area and what channel they're on. You can then try picking a channel that's less populated.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If the playstation is next or near the TV you are having issues with, you can get a switch (around £10 on Amazon)
You attach the Ethernet cable from home plug (which would go into PlayStation) into the switch, then you have cables coming out of the switch to go to TV and PlayStation.
I personally have a Samsung wireless TV and doesn't have any wireless issues, hence I'm using a BT Hub 5.  Also if you still have your old hub, is it the hub 5?
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I use one of these http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-500av-4pe.htm it connects a sky box, raspberrypi and blueray. Expensive but tidy  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra