Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless drop outs

JahPete
Rising Star

Re: Wireless drop outs

Hi,

We're still getting the 30+ Mbps speeds and fairly regular drop outs, so the DLM doesn't appear to have intervened yet. During the virus lockdown my Wife (head of a Government scientific research council) really needs to be online at all times during working hours. Anything you can do to get the reliability back to how it was would be greatly appreciated... Cheers.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @JahPete I'm sorry to see your connection's still frequently dropping. I'm increasing the stability profile of your connection to try to encourage the dynamic line management (DLM) software at the cabinet to lower your speed a tad to make your line more stable, which should go through tomorrow although it may take up to 10 days to take effect.

I've also noticed you're provisioned on the legacy 55/10 product from long ago (I believe this was in 2016) so I'm also changing this to the 40/10 product as your line can't achieve more than 40mbps anyway. There's no difference to your pricing at all. This change has been known to help with stability in the past.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

Thanks for your prompt reply, it really is appreciated.... And, fingers crossed that the changes you're implementing do the trick. It's ironic that having the fault fixed has thrown up a different set of issues..... I'll keep in touch.... Cheers.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Pete and aye I agree.

Fingers crossed those changes do the trick. Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

So, the download speed has dropped to around the 27 Mbps mark. I've only noticed one drop out in the past few days, so hopefully that's improved. The only concern is the upload speed which has also dropped from 6 to 4 Mbps.... Is this likely to affect performance?  Although my Daughter is at University, my Wife is working from home during the lockdown so usage will be higher than usual. Cheers...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Pete, although the upload speed is marginally below the estimates of your line, the 2mbps drop shouldn't affect the performance by too much. I think it'd be difficult for us to investigate further as it'd require another engineer visit and at the moment we're (along with our suppliers) prioritising those without any form of connection.

Let us know if you experience any further issues though.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

Thanks for the quick reply.....

I'm more than happy with the way things are at the moment, so I'll just keep an eye on it. 

I appreciate all the help in this drawn out saga.... Stay safe... Pete.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Pete and sounds like a plan. Stay safe. -Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

I guessed it was too good to last..... The download (which has been steady around the 23 Mbps mark for a while) has now dropped below 20... and is noticeable. Any known reason, or is it just me...again? 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @JahPete. I'm sorry to see your speed's dropped. Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

Hi,

I think I'll wait until "things" get back to some semblance of normality before I raise a fault, especially as it's essential that my Wife is able to work from home and I don't want to jeopardise what we have. However, if it drops too much lower (18 at last check), I might have to reconsider. Thanks for your prompt reply...

JahPete
Rising Star

UPDATE:

Speed has been getting steadily slower over the past Month, with the latest reading of 15 Mbps. Not ideal, but as I said before I can't risk raising a fault in case it is turned off as my Wife needs internet access to do her job. I assume (another) cap hasn't been put in place? Just a thought....🙂

JahPete
Rising Star

Okay, current speed is showing about 12 Mbps (down) and 4 (up).... This is now getting unacceptable. Is there any other likely reason other than a fault? If not, then I guess I have to report it regardless.....

JahPete
Rising Star

On the 13th September my connection speed shot up to 28 Mbps for reasons unknown. However, since then it has been steadily dropping until today when it dropped like a stone and is now showing between 5 and 7 Mbps. We've had a pretty good service over the years from PlusNet but this year and the past month or so have been dreadful.... We are all 3 of us having to work from home, so a decent connection speed is imperative... PLEASE can you investigate.... 

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Thanks for getting back in touch @JahPete and I'm sorry to hear you're still having speed issues as of recent. Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net