cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless drop outs

JahPete
Rising Star

Re: Wireless drop outs

I've done a few speed checks today and I appear to be back up around the 30 Mbps mark, so I assume something has been done/repaired.... I await notification to that effect.... 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @JahPete 

I've chased up the progress of your fault with our suppliers and I've been advised that the job is with the cabling team now for underground jointing as the dig work has been completed and to review back tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

Hi,

As the virus situatuion has escalated, my Wife is now working from home full time and needs to be online during the day 100% of the time. She is head of one of the biological research councils so it's vital she has access to the outside world... Do you know if the work can be done without disconnecting us, or outside working hours?  Thanks, Pete.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @JahPete 

I understand what you've said but unfortunately we've no way of passing this information on as the job is in hand with contractors we can't contact directly and our suppliers would just check their portal for updates they pass on to us.

It's kind of inevitable that some loss of service will occur while a fault is being fixed but I hope it doesn't last long. If you're unhappy with this, we could try cancelling the fault report but I can't guarantee that'd cancel the job with contractors.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

Understood, and thanks for the prompt reply.... I don't want to complicate things , so I think we'll just have to hope it's a short duration offline, as you say. Cheers, Pete.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Pete, aye fingers crossed the work is all sorted quickly.

Unless I have to go to self-isolation I'll be in the office this weekend to check up on the progress.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Pete. There's no update on the fault so our suppliers are escalating this and we should know more on Monday.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @JahPete we've received confirmation today that the fault should now be fixed. I've tested your line and everything's looking OK. Can you confirm your speeds and connection are where you'd expect?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

Hi,

Just tested the speed and it's up around the 30 Mbps mark as before... However, this is what I got after each previous engineer visit and then it dropped off, so I'll give it a couple of days before I sign it as completed. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, let me know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

Well, after a week of speed tests it appears this elusive fault has finally been fixed (touching wood here).....

In fact, the speed is at an unheard of high of 35+ Mbps. Thanks for all your help and stay safe out there....

Cheers, Pete.

JahPete
Rising Star

UPDATE:

Well, although the speed has increased after the "repair", the connection has dropped out twice today (to my knowledge).... Is this a PlusNet wide problem or is it just my connection?  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Pete, sorry for the delay I seem to have missed the notification and it looks like you closed the ticket online I was using to follow up. No problem though, I'm glad to see your speed is better than ever before although there are a fair few drops:

I've tested your line and the tests aren't showing any definitive causes for this or major service outages in the area. It's possible that the fibre's running too fast that your line can handle, which would be causing it to drop out. 

I'd recommend monitoring this over the next few days to week or so, let me know how it goes and raise a new fault ticket at http://faults.plus.net if the drops or further problems continue.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply..... I had a feeling it might be "speeding".... I know it was capped before. Maybe it needs it again? To be honest I can't tell the difference between 25 and 35 Mbps...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Unfortunately we can't manually restrict a fibre line speed, but if the drops continue then I'd expect the dynamic line management (DLM) software to intervene and cap your speed.

If you're not noticing any improvement at 35mbps it's likely that 25mbps is more than enough for what you're doing on the internet. In my opinion for low to moderate use, it's generally plenty.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet