cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless drop outs

JahPete
Rising Star

Re: Wireless drop outs

I have had an email from BT to inform me that the fault has been repaired..... Done a couple of tests, and my speed appears to be back up to 30+ Mbps...... 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @JahPete,

Thank you for letting us know that the landline fault has been resolved. I've tested your line and it's currently syncing at 35.2mbps, so it appears that your broadband is back to normal. Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you experience any further problems with your connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
JahPete
Rising Star

Speed appears to be constant at the higher speed now..... 

I won't be able to check the drop out problem (my original question) until my Daughter returns from Uni next month.... I'll update as and when.... Thanks.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @JahPete,

I'm glad to hear that your speeds have improved and as a matter of course I checked your account today to look into the connection drops. Unfortunately, I can see the connection appears to have been dropping out late at night/early in the morning, with connection drops over the last 4 days having occurred between 1AM to 4AM.

A potential fix to this could be to set the router up within the test socket in the property, if it isn't already. I'd recommend doing this and we've a guide on how it can be done here. Please let us know how this goes and we'll be happy to pick this back up for review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
JahPete
Rising Star

Yes, the router is connected to the master socket and directly into my PC..... The issue has been with my Daughter's Apple hardware (having to re-enter the access code regularly)... I have done the changes recommended in the 4th post of this thread, and await the results next month upon her return home.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @JahPete,

I can see the links provided on our initial response were more geared towards wireless issues, whereas the ones I've posted this time are more geared toward physical connection drops. If you'd like to wait to carry these out once your daughter returns home then that's understandable, however the connection drops I'm seeing today would affect the wider connection rather than just a single device. Regardless, please let us know how this goes and we'll be happy to pick this back up for review.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
JahPete
Rising Star

Indeed, I only spotted the lower speed when I got involved with the drop outs to my Daughters device(s). As I'm rarely on line between 1 and 4am, the dropouts you found aren't relevant, although slightly worrying. Anyway, I'll report back in a month or so.... Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

JahPete
Rising Star

Hi,

Daughter is home from Uni, and so far so good with the drop outs on her Apple hardware.... On the (slight) down side, the connection speed has dropped to 24 Mbps from 33 Mbps after the cap was lifted...... 

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

It's good to hear that the issue with drop outs isn't affecting you any longer. It's a shame that the speeds have dipped a bit, if they do drop any further it would take them below estimates so please do let us know if you notice a downward trend with that and we'll be able to look into it with you.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JahPete
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply..... Just checked the current speed and it's now down to just over 22 Mbps, so it's definitely on the slide for whatever reason.....

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @JahPete, thanks for getting back to us.

When testing your connection today we can see the download speed getting to the router are 23.8Mbps which certainly fall below your 27.4 - 41.6Mbps download estimates for the line.
Our testing of your connection is again showing a line fault as seen by the graph below. In which case we'd advise contacting your phone provider again and getting them to re-test the line as it looks like the same underlying fault could have returned.

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 23.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 6.6 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 969.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-30M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-12-17T13:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 24.9 Mbps 29.9 Mbps 28.1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 6.4 Mbps 6.6 Mbps 6.5 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 642.3 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-12-30T13:04:25Z 2019-12-30T13:19:25Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

By all means let us know how they get on and when the issue is resolved so we can check into your connection to make sure everything has returned to normal for you.

JahPete
Rising Star

Hi,

I have yet to report the "fault" to BT, due to personal reasons.... However, on checking the download speed today I see it's a nice healthy 32 Mbps again. Has the fault corrected itself I wonder?  I shall keep an eye on it and if it drops off again I'll contact BT and let you know.... Cheers, Pete.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

There was banding on the line which appear to have been removed. All should be good now, but just keep a close eye on it. Give us a shout if it goes down again.

Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
JahPete
Rising Star

Hi... Me again.

Well, it's (gradually) dropped from 31Mbps to 21Mbps over the last 2 weeks so I guess there's still an issue there, albeit intermittent. If you could confirm that you're detecting a fault (or not) I'll get on to BT.... Thanks, Pete.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @JahPete

Testing from our side is showing a phone fault, so I'd recommend picking this up with your phone provider accordingly.

Best wishes

Dave