Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless drop outs

JahPete
Rising Star

Wireless drop outs

Hi,

Since my last connection issue and supply of a replacement hub I was advised to connect my PC to the hub by ethernet.  All well and good.....However, my Wife and Daughter (who are connected by wi-fi) are experiencing regular drop outs, and even when they enter the correct password it doesn't work. It takes a manual reset of the hub to enable them to connect. This will only be short lived because in a day or two they'll be shut out again.... This is proving tedious to them (and me)..... Any ideas? 

Cheers,

Pete.

90 REPLIES 90
llwynog
Hooked

Re: Wireless drop outs

I also have drop outs, at least once a day! Been happening quite a while now. Infuriating and I am attached to ethernet as signal supposed to be better.

JahPete
Rising Star

Ironically, I don't have drop outs on my (ethernet connected) PC, but my family do on their i-phones and laptops...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Pete.

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing problems with your wireless connection dropping. 

Could you try the steps Here letting us know how it goes?

@llwynog Apart from a drop Sunday night your broadband connection has been stable for almost 4 days:

image15671813531495

Testing your line isn't showing any issues either. Is your computer plugged directly into your router via an ethernet cable with no switches or powerline adapters in place? If so do you also get drop outs using any other devices?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

Hi,

Yes, my PC is plugged directly into the router via ethernet cable as recommended by the engineer at last visit. However, my Wife and Daughter using i-Phones and laptops (via wi-fi) are experiencing connection problems. When they lose connection they are prompted to enter the wi-fi password, but get an "incorrect password" message even though they are entering it correctly. They are unable to regain access until I push the reset button on the router and then everything is fine..... until the next time.... Very odd.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @JahPete 

I think there's a bit of confusion here, the last part of my response was directed at @llwynog 

Can you try the steps in the wireless troubleshooting guide?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JahPete
Rising Star

Sorry, missed that link in my haste to post a reply.......

I tried accessing the page you suggested, but when I entered the wireless password I also got an "incorrect password" message.... I can see a theme here....

llwynog
Hooked

My Smart TV is connected to Ethernet - don't use it as much/or same times as computer which is WIFI. Noticed only a very rare 'hang'. Do not use my smartphone for internet access at all-prefer computer but will try the 'fix' instructions and see as dropped out very short while today probably a minute).  Usually don't notice until I get a 'can't connect' message and then check internet if 'on' usually not - have noticed it seems worse if I do not do autoconnect as I use my computer for more than the web..

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @JahPete, if you're having issues connecting to the hub page with WiFi, I'd advise using the PC connected by Ethernet to access this page. Once you have split the frequencies, let us know how things are and if you still experience the issue with either the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz.

Hi @llwynog,if you're having issues with the devices connected via Ethernet also I'd have a run through our troubleshooting here and raise a fault here so we can investigate this further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
JahPete
Rising Star

Hi,

I think you might be missing the point..... I am having no trouble connecting using my PC (via ethernet cable). However, anyone else in the house using w-fi connection has the issue I referred to earlier.  I couldn't connect to the diagnostic page with my (ethernet cable connected) PC, because it gave me an "Incorrect password" message, despite it being entered correctly....

llwynog
Hooked

Hi, can't connect computer to Ethernet, it right across the room.  However, trying to get a tablet set up and getting error message, followed guide and have cut off 5 and tablet connected straight away - maybe this will help my other 'drop' problem.  Will keep my eye on both for a few weeks and see. Fingers crossed.  Thanks all for your help.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @JahPete when you're putting in the password. Are you inputting the correct password? 

The one you'll need is the 'router admin' password provided on the back of the router or card supplied.

It won't be the same as your account password or your wifi key.

@llwynog 5Ghz is abit hit and miss with certain devices. From personal experience my Ipad isn't super keen on the 5Ghz band. Let us know how you get on and feel free to get back to us if you need anything further.

JahPete
Rising Star

Yes, Router Admin Password was entered (correctly several times) and refused each time....

rossums
Hooked

I've been having the EXACT same issue as you for the past few weeks.

I have my windows based desktop and it's working perfectly via Ethernet but my Macbook Pro and my iPad disconnect constantly via WiFi and I have to reset the router (Plusnet Hub One w/ Firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263) every few hours if I'm using them as they refuse to connect to the WiFi, the few times that it does allow them to reconnect it refuses to accept the WiFi password despite it being correct.

I have been monitoring the issue and have attached screenshots of the logs that they may find useful in sorting out the issue, captured from my desktop via Ethernet as obviously the WiFi devices are unable to connect.

I'm using the exact same setup I have for about the past year and it's only the past few weeks it's suddenly refusing to work correctly.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @JahPete 

Can you try a factory reset of your router by pushing a paperclip into the reset pinhole at the back for 20 seconds? If you're still having issues logging into the advanced settings of your router can you post up a screenshot showing this? We'll then be able to advise further however please do ensure you don't include or you blur out any private info from the screenshot.

Hi @rossums Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your wireless signal as well. Could you advise what steps you've taken so far to try to resolve this? Have you split the 2.4GHz frequency away from the 5GHz on? There's a good guide Here if you're unsure how to do that. Let us know how you get on.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet