Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Problems - Can any one help?

Jessica
Grafter

I’m trying to connect my new printer (Canon MX925) to my network/modem.
The printer installation software program says press and hold the WPS button on my Plusnet Technicolor TG582n FTTC modem.  But nothing happens, the printer times-out and I start all over again.
I’ve switched WPS on but I see this:-
WPS Enabled: Yes, but currently down due to incompatible configuration

Allow New Devices: New stations are allowed (automatically)

Security Mode: WPA-PSK
What am I doing wrong?  Can any one help?
Thanks.
Jess
13 REPLIES 13
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Wireless Problems - Can any one help?

WPS can be hit & miss. In the set up wizard there should be a manual configuration menu where you will have to enter your network password.
I've just looked at your user manual. As you are going through set up,  at 3-1 it says "The printer will automatically search for access points supporting WPS".
Read the notes below this heading & you will see that it says that "if you are unsure whether your router or printer supports this method press "STOP".
You will then see that the printer screen will take you through standard set up where you will enter your network details manually.
Good luck,
Nick
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

When I was using the Technicolour router I also had WPS initialisation issues.
What I found was that the device(s) I was trying to connect to via WPS would only do so when within a few feet from the router (1 or 2 feet max). If you are sure you are doing it right then move the printer, on an extension lead if neccesary, very close to the router. Once connected the printer can go back to where you want it.
Let's be careful out there !
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I've always found that wireless on Canon printers can drop out even with the modern printers. (My Canon MG7100 is only 12 months old). I have mine connected directly to my router by ethernet cable & it is 100% reliable. Smiley
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks for the replies.
It looks like I was causing my own problems and not the printer or modem.  I switched WPS on in the modem setup page.  When the two lights on the modem start flashing, I press OK on the printer to do a search, then press and hold the flashing WPS button on the modem.  It all worked -
But then, I was pressing and holding the Wi-Fi button on the modem to switch Wi-Fi OFF (because I don’t need it, I’m connected by WPS).  Once I left the Wi-Fi ON, It all works just fine.
I thought WPS and Wi-Fi were two different ways of connecting wirelessly.  Sorry.
Cheers,
Jess

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

WPS is just a quick way of authenticating the WiFi.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Jess,
Glad you found a resolution to this... I vaguely recall you having issues before and just went to look at your forum history and recalled you switched WiFi off as a security measure in August last year...  Shocked Cool
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jessica
Grafter

Hi Townman,
Yes I did.  I wasn’t using Wi-Fi (or WPS) at the time so I switched it off.  I didn’t realise that WPS was Wi-Fi - LOL.
Please remember we’re not all computer experts!
That’s why I rely on people like you.
Thanks for the help and support.  It’s nice to know you’re looking after me.
Cheers
Jess

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Jessica
Please remember we’re not all computer experts!

We do try - it is not always easy to get the balance between teaching people to suck eggs and going over their heads with full explanations of the technical operations.  As much as many do not want to know and become dismissive of explanations (and advisor) as "being too technical for them and it should all be much simpler" people do need to understand that this is actually quite complex technology underneath the covers.
What gives you security concerns over WiFi - real experience or some of the fear uncertainty and doubt (aka FUD) spread by the media?  There are a number of things which you can do to run WiFi with additional levels of security.
If you are using the TG582n see http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/lan/?be=0&l0=4&l1=-1 (login required) - click the Wireless network, click configure (top right).  From there you can switch off "Broadcast Network Name" which will mean that the WiFi name is not visible to casual WiFi browsers.  Also change the "Allow New Devices" option to "Not allowed" or "Allowed by registration".  This latter option exposes a new option to search for WiFi devices.  I'm not sure what happens after that - when I used it, I did not find any unknown devices...  Roll_eyes
Note that this might not be available on firmware prior to 10.2.2.B.
I'm sure one of the other regulars around here (Jelv, npr or ejs) might have more information to add on this.
Kevin.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

This post may be a bit of a red herring, so take it with a pinch of salt -
1) I note it's a Canon printer.- I recall another user having wireless connection problems with a Canon, and it seems tijara33 has also had some. If you get any further problems with the connection I'll be interested in the detail.
2) If Townman's idea of turning off the Network Name broadcasting causes issues with the printer connection, try changing the name to something that doesn't identify the ISP or yourself explicity and is shorter than the current name in total number of characters. If you have any other wireless devices that you use and make such changes you may have to set them up again as well.
3) IMHO what has appeared "elsewhere" is not "total" FUD when it comes to wireless security. Townman's suggestions are good things to try, but in addition, I have always held the opinion, that if wireless is not being used, switch it off.
4) There are other things that help with security, I expect you know always use WPA2-PSK security wherever possible. Make passwords and even the SSID, to be a mixture of alphanumerics and case, no dictionary words, personal names, house/phone numbers and where all devices you want to use permit, use none alphanumerics as well eg.  [#£^ etc. Some things allow some of those characters but not all, others may allow any.
5) You should be able to switch the wireless off when not using it and/or the printer and switch it all on without issue when you want it.  I'd certainly be interested in any expert guidance to avoid issues when doing that and hope someone will post tips so that at least you don't get any. I rarely use my wireless, and not for a printer.
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks for the help guys.
That’s odd.  When I switch off "Broadcast Network Name" and change the "Allow New Devices" option to "Not allowed" or "Allowed by registration", the printer won’t print.  As soon as I revert back to my old setting, it all works.
Really odd.  What else can I do or should I leave it alone.  This is how I’ve left it:-
Security

WPS Enabled: Yes

Broadcast Network Name: Yes

WPA-PSK Version: WPA&WPA2
If I hide the network name only and allow devices, I get “WPS Enabled:  Yes, but currently down due to incompatible configuration”.  And the printer still won’t work.  Reveal the network name, and the printer works.
Thanks guys,
Jess
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I went here http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/pixma_printer_wireless_connection_setup/pixma_mx925... and you have a problem
Unless you use WPS it would appear that you are limited to WEP security which, to say the least, is a rotten idea
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Jess,
Personally I use...
WPS Enabled: Yes
Broadcast Network Name: Yes
WPA-PSK Preshared Key: ******************
WPA-PSK Encryption: AES
WPA-PSK Version: WPA2

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re the post above
The setup system I referred to above doesn't allow the use of a key so using new devices by registration can't work which is a really rotten idea