Darranna
Grafter

Re: Wireless Issue

Curious about?  Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Looks like neither of those can be used as Wireless Access Points so that's a non-starter.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Darranna
Grafter

I've asked this question of the support team,
Anyone here know any of the answers?
Hello,
The wifi connections from the supplied Technicolor TG582n router is poor at best. The modem being used is a BT Openreach unit that was supplied by Sky when I was with them.
Can I change the Router and or Modem and will PlusNet offer support, also do you have any recommendations I was thinking of a Dual Band unit?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Changing the modem won't make any difference. Many users use their own router to get better WiFi performance - ASUS seem to be pretty popular.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Darranna
Grafter

are they easy to set up (plug and play) or is it more complex meaning you have to change internal settings?
Also would the populus recommend a dual band router?
studuckson
Grafter

Depending on budget the Asus RT-AC68U is a stonking bit of kit, i have 2 - one as my main router and the other set as a wireless access point (connected to the main router via ethernet) and i have multiple devices connected both wireless and wired (25-30 in total) and i have found them very robust and easy to setup.
I have also loaded on the Merlin-Fork firmware and have increased the output power of the wifi, now wifi it awesome anywhere in the house and outside.
Darranna
Grafter

I'll have a look at some options, but I have to be honest and say so far I'm disappointed with how PlusNet have dealt with this issue  Sad all they have done is sent me a link about moving my Router away from other electrical items (not exactly helpful) and document that shows how to change the channel on the router (that made no difference whatsoever).
In hindsight I'd have been better off staying with Sky, as I now have to spend money to get a signal that was as good as the sky one was in the first place.  Angry
Not at all impressed!!
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

If you had bothered to check this forum before you changed, you would have quickly discovered that the PN supplied router is a very basic piece of kit. However, rather than invest in the expensive Asus RT-AC68U, why not go for the RT-N56U straight router? I've been using mine for 2 years & it is a really excellent dual band router which is incredibly easy to set up by even myself, & I'm no techy!
Darranna
Grafter

Thank you for taking the time to reply  Wink
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

The best you can do is make it work buy using something else, ie, make another (Access Point)
I made mine for less than a fiver with the following tutorial from here... http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point
And a router from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XD-link+dir-615+r...
Try getting Revision D3 or D4. You can even buy a DIR-615 with DD-WRT installed, just plug it in connect and change the wifi password, job done.
We have this conversation at lest once a week or so, the provided router is free (£5 Delivery) to keep costs down, and also to put in line should you have a problem and need support etc.
Or buy a decent router that will do what you need it to.
I feel your frustration as do others, that is why we are trying to help you, most people seem to get along with the supplied router but some don't, wether it be an OS issue or even drivers that can cause problems with wifi, who knows.
You say you have full signal, have you tried using plusnet dns settings on just 1 pc to see if it helps at all ?
How to change dns settings on windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/change-tcp-ip-settings
Just tick ( use the following DNS server address) then enter the above 2 addresss. shown in the pic below then save
Just untick then save to go back to normal.
Darranna
Grafter

Thank you I'll have a go at your suggestions.
Thanks again  Smiley
Lilou

Hi
I also left sky for plusnet and found the speed better but the bandwidth poo.
last night I plugged my sky router back in and so far so good! seems much better (Hubs can play the xbox whilst I watch crappy TV on catch up! woohoo!)  I am also a plug and player but I did sign into the sky router and made one change on a setting, can't remember what but can check if you like?
good luck!
Darranna
Grafter

That would be very helpful, thank you  Wink
SpeedMeUpScotty

Hi Darranna

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Thanks