cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows computers no internet

IanL
Grafter

Windows computers no internet

My dad has been having trouble with no internet for 3 weeks, plusnet have not been able to resolve it, tried 3 routers still no internet. So I finally  had time to visit myself to see if I could get any further, I have been able to connect via 2 android devices via wifi no problems at all however 2 windows 7 computers cannot connect via wifi or wired despite trying many things and spending 3 hours on phone to plusnet, tried switching off security,connecting via safemode, manually seting network  adapter settings, checked for spyware, so far the only thing is the computers pick up the name of the router so they can connect in some way but when pinging gateway we get General Failure. We and Plusnet are stumped.  Anyone have any suggestions  on what I can try next?
17 REPLIES 17
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Windows computers no internet

What were the make/model of the 3 routers have you tried ?
What security/antivirus/firewwall software is running on the Windows 7 computers?
Has it been changed lately?
Are both Windows 7 computers different in make/model ?
As your android devices connect without issues, it suggests to me it is probably a software related issue on the Windows 7 computers.
If one of them is a laptop, can you test it on your own broadband connection?
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
IanL
Grafter

Technicolour tg582n which was working
Tried 2x sagemcom 2704n plusnet fttc
Using Avast security, not changed recently, tried with it off
Computers are totally different make
Checked no software added anytime near problem, only change a windows update kb3035583 which I have now removed
Will have to take 1 laptop to my house later this morning
NedLudd
Grafter

Sounds a bit like you're pinging the wrong IP address!
Maybe the router has a different IP address to the one your PC's think is the router?
Can you check this out?
Geoff,
York.
IanL
Grafter

What address should I be pinging, was pinging the gateway address that plusnet instructed me to 192.168.1.254
IPconfig confirms that
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The new routers have respond to pings blocked externally and I suspect also internally
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: IanL
What address should I be pinging, was pinging the gateway address that plusnet instructed me to 192.168.1.254
IPconfig confirms that

But, is that the IP address your computers are using for the Gateway address?
Geoff,
York.
IanL
Grafter

Yes they were set with that gateway manually as instructed by plusnet and no luck.
IanL
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
The new routers have respond to pings blocked externally and I suspect also internally

Plusnet support asked me to ping the router, so unless they were not aware of blocking...
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This doesn't sound like a router issue at all...
Start with the basics:
Set two Windows PCs to manual addresses ie 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11 - Can you ping one from the other?  If not, can you ping 127.0.0.1 using both PCs?
If you can ping between machines, set them back to DHCP and plug them into your router (turn wireless off on both machines).  Confirm that you get IP addresses on each machine (ipconfig).  Check that you can ping from one machine to the other.  If OK, check you can ping the router.
Next, unplug the ethernet cables from each machine and turn wireless on.  Repeat the tests pinging between the machines and the router.
IanL
Grafter

On way back to my house with one laptop couldn't bring pc as well so can't do those last tests at moment.
IanL
Grafter

ok the laptop can't connect to my router either. So whatever the problem is, it has happened to 2 computers which is very odd. Can't find an answer.... any Suggestions?
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I agree, I dont think this is a router issue as such. If you can, could you post up the results of an ipconfig/all from your dads house. Have you tried resetting the winsock stacks on the pcs. I do suspect maybe a dns issue. I would try giving one of the pcs a fixed ip such as 192.168.1.10, with subnet of 255.255.255.0  instead of setting the dns to 192.168.1.254 set primary to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4 these are googles dns servers and see what happens.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

This sounds like a virus hack to me
Run a full virus and malware scan. Use AVAST or other free program and MALWAREBYTES. Carry out any recommendations
You may have to use a USB stick to load the programs onto the affected computers if they cannot connect to the internet.
Check the network connection settings in the browser , or install a new browser but do not let it copy any existing settings from old browsers. Install something liek Firefox, Chrome or Safari if not already installed.
Finally of that does not work try Windows System restore to a date BEFORE the issue began..
(This is not really a fibre problem- can it be moved by moderators? )
IanL
Grafter

Tried a scan with Avast, no problems