cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 updates failing to download unless I use VPN

chrcoluk
Grafter

Windows 8.1 updates failing to download unless I use VPN

I have been testing a clean 8.1 install on my spare PC for 2 weeks, I have been unable to download all the windows updates which has obviously meant I have done little testing as thats the first step.
Well tonight out of curiousity I thought I would rule out plusnet by enabling my VPN on my router and BAM the updates downloaded with no issue.
I dont know what to say and think here, plusnet do traffic manage, it seems from where I sit the windows update traffic on my connection is been over meddled with, since I am on a ipv6 test account I will retest with my normal account, but this testing has been done over ipv4 (disabled ipv6 in windows).
By failing to download I mean they will partially download and then stop, they will just pause forever until I intervene, including when I have left it overnight.  As soon as I enabled VPN they downloaded.
I just had a thought I am wondering if somehow mtu is an issue so I will test with a 1492 MTU, if I dont reply back on the MTU it means it still fails.
2 REPLIES 2
chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: Windows 8.1 updates failing to download unless I use VPN

not going to make false info, so I am confirming it looks like using an MTU of 1500 caused this issue so I am leaving my router on 1492 now.
Sadly tho after I recconected I had to do more hopping as pcl-ag07 or my BTw routing to pcl-ag07 appeared congested.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Windows 8.1 updates failing to download unless I use VPN

Very good spot on the MTU, it's not something I've seen many issues with recently but definitely worth keeping in mind.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.