Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Pre-downloading

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Windows 10 Pre-downloading

I'm using a Vaio laptop. Yesterday I received a message from Sony telling me that they are testing W10 & will notify me when they are happy that my Vaio will accept the update. This has just been confirmed by a Microsoft message in the "reservation" centre.
As always, excellent support from Sony. I'm in no hurry to ugrade as I'm more than content with W8.1. Smiley
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: HPsauce
The W10 test system is just sitting on the last fast version with no indications of anything; I'll compare its version to the laptop when that has upgraded.
Both 10240. One is Pro, the other Home.
The updated laptop is now installing some updates. Probably the same ones the test system already picked up.
My laptop was "semi-preloaded", when I started the process it said it was about 50% downloaded in Windows Update then carried on.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Quote from: HPsauce
Interestingly I have 4 PC's eligible for this. Well five if you include a W10 test system.
Of these one (the one I'm using right now) has never shown any eligibility despite being W7x64 and apparently totally eligible - but a clean install is scheduled for the autumn anyway.

Apparently if Microsoft thinks that your machine will have issues with the upgrade, they have hidden the Windows 10 task bar icon until after the 29th of July and then will re-able it so you can see the issues that they think you will have. I have a laptop which will not show the icon but it meets all the criteria to be offered Windows 10. ( pukka license, Windows 7 SP1, all hotfixes and optional installs done)
Also I have just rebooted my desktop machine and the Windows 10 task bar icon has gone. It was there this morning as I click on it to see if it was saying anything different. The GWX.EXE isn't running too. However if you open Windows Update, it says that Windows 10 is coming soon and click to reserve a copy.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
PitchBlack
Grafter

Quote from: Pendragon
Yes it could that is one reason I posted this note.
The odd thing is I only found this out because at one point I had a small ‘cog wheel’ icon at the top right of the small window that opens when you click the icon on the task bar.
Clicking this ‘cog wheel’ gave a menu of things you could set including ‘get updates from the internet and local network’ and ‘updates from local network only’, however this ‘settings’ icon has vanished on all the windows I’ve opened today.
Microsoft may have changed this behaviour because of upload costs to the end user, I don’t really know. If anyone else has any input feel free to chip in.
Regards, P.

In the update - advanced settings there is a choice to disable people leeching off you.
runhare
Aspiring Pro

I've got a newish Dell  Windows 8 Lap top which won't accept the W10 upgrade - it I try to download the  W10 upgarde app it says the computer is not compatible.
Tracked this down to a problemwith failed install of 8.1
Can't upgrade to 8.1 as apparently the account I'm doesn't have administrator providelges. ( it does)
So what's the problem? If anyone can give me a pointer I'd be grateful!
Thanks
Graham
Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Have you tried actually logging in as "administrator"? I know it should be the same as a user account which is a member of "administrators" but sometimes it helps.
You may need to enable the administrator account in Computer Management / Local Users and Groups first.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Does it help if you login to the hidden administrator account and try upgrading from there?
http://www.nextofwindows.com/windows-8-1-tip-how-to-enable-and-disable-hidden-administrator-account
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

What are your first impressions of using Win10 Pendragon? Like leaping into a Tornado having climbed out of a Tiger Moth?!!!! ^-)
Pendragon
Rising Star

@danludlow,
Hmmm, first impressions, well I’ve been an ‘insider’ for a few months so was already sort of ‘up to speed’ with 10 (or so I thought), however upgrading is nothing like the lovely clean installs I did with the previews.
My laptop even though it upgraded fine is having problems shutting down, sometimes it will shut down fine others it will hang and I have to kill it with the power button. Otherwise everything seems to be working.
Games seems OK, office 2007 works as normal, but and this is the crunch bit, the start menu is taking a bit of getting used to. On Windows 8.1 I always installed Classic Menu and that worked fine, have yet to try it with 10 but may give it a go after a clean install, (you have to do the upgrade first as this registers your system with Microsoft (it uses your account) and then 10 will activate all on its own after a clean install.
Everything opening like ‘apps’ even on the desktop looks odd at first and the windows look a bit ‘insipid’ as in lacking colour and stuff and icons seem a bit ‘simplistic’, I must say I miss Aero even if it was a resource hog. But all in all it is a better operating system than 8.0 and only just better than 8.1, I think it will grow on me but it will take time to convert me from 7 for gaming.
As gamers we also have a backup Windows 8.1 games tower and a ‘gash’ tower with Windows 7 installed we use for testing stuff (our 2 main games machines are high end go faster machines and never, never get upgraded without tests on the backup first).
So first test on the Windows 7 machine, fully licensed and activated with SP1 etc, unable to update this machine because it is not activated (what?).
Downloaded the 10 iso and tried using that, it went through the entire installing etc and ended with the same message, then did a roll back and wiped all the downloaded files as well, thanks Microsoft.
Tried again last night with the ‘Media Creation Tool’ from Microsoft and it downloaded another 6 Gig (sorry Plusnet), did the install and says it can’t activate 10 as I have an illegal copy of Windows 7.
Well I have the box with a family pack of 3 licences purchased for my local PC World store and it was activated before the 10 upgrade started screwing things up.
Don’t think I will be upgrading my games machines just yet; more testing is in store over the next few days.
Daft part is I installed the final preview on my Asus Transformer T100 and that works like a dream both in desktop and tablet modes, but it was a clean install.
Just something you may or may not be aware of, if you click the ‘Notification’ icon in the task bar it will open a ‘slide up’ menu and you can use this to turn your desktop into tablet mode (if you wish though I wouldn’t know why LOL).
Regards, P.
PS to mods, you might like to move this to the Windows Software section, thanks.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

The Windows 10 upgrade would still not kick in today so I used the tool from the Microsoft website that georgelnx linked to and it worked perfectly just chose upgrade this PC and off it went no issues and it's working perfectly fine
I'm just getting use to where everything is and the interface it's a a little different to Windows 7 , I run the tool again to pick the create and burn ISO option so can do a clean install if needs be at a later date so far so good, one thing i'm not liking is Auto update being set to automatic with no means to change it,  in Win 7 i always had it set to notify me and then i chose whether to download or not,  Hopefully MS will patch that option back in, if not i'll see how it goes and go back to Win 7 if needs be.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Interesting, Pendragon and Terranova667. I've been happy with Win 7 64bit for some time, easy to use, but reckon probably worth moving with the times. My Mrs has Win8 and I had an upgrade myself, but never installed it, as I found it so annoying!
Just hoping that Win10 does it for me. I won't rush and chase my download though, I'm not always the best when it comes to change, bit of a stick-in-the-mud! ^-)
chrcoluk
Grafter

when I click the windows 10 icon I get a window saying please wait, and what should be a spinning animation, however the animation is frozen and the windows changes to not responding status.
I am guessing something on my rig is hanging the app Smiley
I downloaded the iso about 15 mins ago.
However I dont want to upgrade to win10 yet, so I would be concerned if this is a fully automated process without end user approval.
laptop also has exact same problem.
npr
Pro

Quote from: Pendragon
the start menu is taking a bit of getting used to. On Windows 8.1 I always installed Classic Menu and that worked fine, have yet to try it with 10 but may give it a go after a clean install.

Start8 start menu is working ok in win10.
Not sure I like the new win10 menu.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Start8 start menu is working ok in win10.

That's excellent news, thanks for the update npr.
npr
Pro

I've given up on the win10 menu, just can't get on with it.
Win10 Menu
So nice to go back to the old start8 menu.
Start8 Menu in Win10
Edit:
Just discovered with Start8 enabled, the windows key brings up the win10 start menu.  Cheesy
Best of both worlds.