Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Pre-downloading

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Windows 10 Pre-downloading

Just a 'heads up' for anyone with more than one pc/laptop etc.
Windows 10 has just pre-downloaded ready for tomorrow on my laptop, it's in a hidden folder on the C: drive and takes up about 4.7 Gig of space when unpacked.
The laptop taking ages to shut down with one update sort of gave it away  Wink
According to tests I've done with the preview version it 'should' try getting the update from other machines on your local network and via per to per over the internet so you may notice an increase in upload usage as well once the download is completed.
Regards, P.
34 REPLIES 34
Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Windows 10 Pre-downloading

Couldn't P2P from machines already with Win 10 cause problems for the people supplying the updates if they are of the many that still have allowance packages with upload counted?
Pendragon
Rising Star

Yes it could that is one reason I posted this note.
The odd thing is I only found this out because at one point I had a small ‘cog wheel’ icon at the top right of the small window that opens when you click the icon on the task bar.
Clicking this ‘cog wheel’ gave a menu of things you could set including ‘get updates from the internet and local network’ and ‘updates from local network only’, however this ‘settings’ icon has vanished on all the windows I’ve opened today.
Microsoft may have changed this behaviour because of upload costs to the end user, I don’t really know. If anyone else has any input feel free to chip in.
Regards, P.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Sounds pretty well hidden. I think I might wait for a bit before I bother with it.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Clicking on the win10 upgrade icon in the task bar will show the progress.

Surprised to find mine says download complete.
Not sure I'm ready to click "let's continue"  Undecided
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Mine has done nothing despite being reserved since they released the upgrade option, they say they are releasing it in waves yet no indication on who gets it and when rather annoying on the lack of indication of  when the download will actually happen
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Have a look at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 if you do not fancy waiting for your PC to decide to download Windows 10.
I'm waiting a month or two, before I decide to try it as I prefer others to find the faults Smiley
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have a hidden folder $Windows.~BT in the root of my C: drive which is 4.61GB created on the 10th of July 2015.
I have the "OK, notify me when ready" page so I will wait impatiently. Sad
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

I don't even have that folder so no idea what's going on.
@gerogelnx thanks for that I'll wait until tomorrow if the download hasn't kicked in by then i'll use that download method instead. 
dnpark38
Rising Star

Anyone know a Microsoft Link to get the Upgrade for those who did not get the ICON in task bar?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
BruceMcTavish
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
I have a hidden folder $Windows.~BT in the root of my C: drive which is 4.61GB created on the 10th of July 2015.
I have the "OK, notify me when ready" page so I will wait impatiently. Sad

Same here but I have 5.6 GB, wonder why different, presuming possibly operating system, here on 8.1 64 bit
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Interestingly I have 4 PC's eligible for this. Well five if you include a W10 test system.
Of these one (the one I'm using right now) has never shown any eligibility despite being W7x64 and apparently totally eligible - but a clean install is scheduled for the autumn anyway.
Two more have the icon but no immediate action today. (One W8.1 the other W7).
The fourth offered the update today and I accepted; it is installing W10 as I type. Luckily it's the laptop I intended do first anyway so was "ready to go".  Cool
The W10 test system is just sitting on the last fast version with no indications of anything; I'll compare its version to the laptop when that has upgraded.
Estragon
Rising Star

Is it safe to click the 4-block icon to see what is said? It appeared yesterday on my Vista machine, although so far as I remember I haven't asked for info or notification.
I've hidden it as I don't want to know on that machine. Nor do I want any pre-downloading. I'll check later if that has already happened.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Is it safe to click the 4-block icon to see what is said?

Yes, the icon is just a pre warning about W10 & allows a reservation for the download. It will allow you to see if your your machine is capable of an upgrade. As it's Vista it won't be a free upgrade as that is only for 7, 8 & 8.1.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Ok, for anyone interested this is a walkthrough of my upgrade on my Windows 8.1 Laptop (your mileage may vary).
Clicked the icon on the task bar as I did not receive a notification it was ready and noticed the message ‘Upgrade -  Available’
Clicked [OK, let’s continue]
‘Working on it’
New Window, ‘Great, we’ll get the upgrade started’
Usual EULA guff, clicked [Accept]
‘Please Wait’
New Window, ‘Your upgrade is ready to install’
Two options, [Schedule it for later], [Start the upgrade now]
Click [Start the upgrade now]
Restart
Blue screen ‘Configuring update for Windows 10’ at 100% Restart again
Quick flash of a black window then main window opens with ‘Upgrading Windows’ and a circle with the percentage counting up.
Note: the circle ‘breathes’ as a reassurance something is happening and there are three counters at the bottom of the screen that also count up as the install is continuing.
At 30% it did a restart and continued
At 75% it did another restart
The install does run in fits and starts and at times other than the circle breathing it looks like nothing is happening.
Final restart was at 99% and then it was the usual settings setup etc and log in with your Microsoft account, took about an hour in total
That's it!
Oh and you now have a windows.old on the hard drive.
Edit for pigs ear of spelling (spell check was turned off sorry).