cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will we see a faster than 80/20 connection anytime soon?

Malcky
Grafter

Will we see a faster than 80/20 connection anytime soon?

Hi folks,

Just wondering if a faster service than a 80/20 connection will happen in the near future or is that years ahead for typical residential customers?

This is not just for plusnet service, but any other provider perhaps too.

7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Will we see a faster than 80/20 connection anytime soon?

Take a look at Openreach g.fast trials, at the moment we have no news from Plusnet on it however faster speeds are being worked on.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Malcky
Grafter

Thanks for the info there....so it seems that some lucky areas will be able to trial upto 330Mbps download speed, didnt see a mention of upload speeds and this uses the existing FTTC and existing copper run to the house.

And then for an even luckier few, if you can get FTTP, then some might be able to get 1Gig connection speeds....which would be just insane.  haha

Unfortunately in my location, none of the above is available yet, so will just have to make do with the 80/20 connection.....which I know is still a lot better than others out there.

Gregg
Grafter

Not from plusnet that is for sure.

With open reach still having a monopoly over the infrastructure we won't see any changes for another 15 years.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

BT ultrafast coverage is aiming for 12 million premises by 2020 (10 million G.fast and 2 million FTTP).

Other providers are free to build their own networks at their own expense.

Gregg
Grafter

BT UltraSlow should try harder.

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

@Gregg wrote:

Not from plusnet that is for sure.

And yet Plusnet is one of the few ISPs that has been trialling FTTP packages.

With open reach still having a monopoly over the infrastructure we won't see any changes for another 15 years.

And yet BT have announced a G.FAST roll-out that should reach 'most' properties by the end of the decade. This coming after the widest ranging network upgrade ever undertaken in the UK by any network provider.

Are there any more inaccurate statements you wish to share with us?

Gregg
Grafter

Pie in sky promises never did it for me. You either have it available or it means nothing.

You can't blame me when plusnet struggle to even supply the bandwidth to their current offering. Maybe i would get 80/20 on their 300/50 service.