cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the speed still increase after upgrade to Extra?

molszewski
Grafter

Will the speed still increase after upgrade to Extra?

I have upgraded from fibre to fibre extra 5 days ago. I was told that the speed will be increasing over 2 weeks during the bedding in period. Since day one the upload speed remained at 50-54 Mbps download and upload 8-9 Mbps. On fibre I was getting 34-36 Mbps download and 7-8 Mbps upload. Before the upgrade I was quoted max speed on my line 76 Mbps with minimum guaranteed 70 Mbps. 

Can I expect further increase in speed of shall I raise a ticket with Plusnet to check the connection. Otherwise I do not experience any disconnections or slowdowns. I have upgraded my routers to Wifi 6 Asus RT-AX92U paired into a mesh and they have been great.

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Will the speed still increase after upgrade to Extra?

@molszewski 

How are you measuring speed? Only tests over an Ethernet wired connection between your router and a computer is acceptable when measuring network speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

molszewski
Grafter

I'm using the website broadbandspeedtest.org.uk. I tried through ethernet cable and wifi and both methods give the same range. Ethernet cable test was done on a different laptop (which has an ethernet port) than the wifi test (with laptop that has wifi 6 capable card)

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Why not just log into the router, go to the advanced section and the Help Desk tab and post the results, or at the very least the sync and max attainable speeds?

molszewski
Grafter

The router has so many setting but I cannot find the  anywhere it says the sync speed.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Just go to the Advanced tab, they the Troubleshooting Tab and you should then see the Help Desk tab.

Assuming you have the PN Hub 1? 

molszewski
Grafter

Last week I have changed to Asus RT-AX92U. I browsed through all the pages but nothing that shows this information.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

That router requires a modem, so what are you using as a modem?

molszewski
Grafter

I'm using the BT openreach modem that got installed by bt when I signed up with Plusnet for fibre broadband.
molszewski
Grafter

I've logged into Plusnet portal and under broadband it still says I'm on unlimited fibre and not fibre extra. It still gives me the option to upgrade to fibre extra. I wonder if that if the issue with the speeds as they haven't changed for 1 week since upgrade.

Riddix
Hooked

I have the same issue as you. I upgraded to fibre extra over a week ago. I see no difference in speed (37mbs download still), and my account still says broadband fibre. 

molszewski
Grafter

I still getting the same speeds 50-55Mbps, no increase at all.