cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my router be compatible?

kieran33three

Will my router be compatible?

Hi all,
I currently have ADSL with Plusnet but have noticed that fibre is now available in my area. I'm on the order screen and it's asking if I would like the wireless router.
I understand these to be the "Tecnhicolor" routers - I have one at my business property and at my partners. I have found that the wireless signal isn't very good so was wondering if my existing router would work.
N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router - DGN2200 - V1.0.0.46_7.0.44

I have looked online but cannot find a definite answer. Hoping somebody here could help.
Regards
Kieran
EDIT: I have noticed that it allows PPPoE encapsulation. So this "should" work?
Reason I ask is because at my business property the technicolor connects to another box but at my partners it just uses a microfilter.
  Crazy
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Re: Will my router be compatible?

Hi, it should work. From the spec it looks like you can set Ethernet port 1 to be a WAN port. Connect that to the Fibre modem, and set the WAN connection to PPPoE with your Plusnet usrname & password.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kieran33three

Thanks for your reply - I have since read another one of your replies to somebody else in 2013 - I am even more confused now...  Wink
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110717.msg948611.html#msg948611
Anonymous
Not applicable

On this Netgear page - http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/dgn2200.aspx#tab-techspecs
it says -
Four (4) 10/100 Fast Ethernet ports with auto-sensing technology; one (1) Fast Ethernet port can be used as WAN port to connect to cable/fiber modem

So it would appear that it should work, although that info is for the current model DGN2200v4, yours may be different !.
What does your handbook say ?, the online handbook describes how to select the "ethernet WAN" instead of the ADSL modem, and that there is a front panel LED which indicates traffic activity when ethernet port 4 is in "ethernet WAN" mode.
Wink
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Thanks for your reply - I have since read another one of your replies to somebody else in 2013 - I am even more confused now..
I suspect, as purleigh suggests, that earlier versions of the dgn2200 didn't have the ability to use one of the LAN ports as a WAN port.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

1.0.0.46 is the latest firmware version for the v4 so that looks hopeful.
If you look underneath the router the label should have the version number (e.g. DGN2200v4). If there is no Vn appended it usually means it is a V1.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)