cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my poor speeds make a difference?

baward

Will my poor speeds make a difference?

We have a pretty measly 4.3Mbs download and 0.88Mbs upload speeds on average. We are on regular broadband (Plusnet Unlimited) at the moment; will upgrading to fibre make any difference to (i.e. improve) our speeds?
Many thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Will my poor speeds make a difference?

Well I've attached your predicted speeds on fibre. It would be a significant difference to what you have now so I strongly recommend it Smiley
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
baward

Thank you very much.
Ben
adie:quote
baward

I had fibre installed this morning. The BT engineer showed me on his PDA the new speeds, about 10 times higher than our old speed (about 4.5DL/0.8UL). This evening, I see that the upload speed has risen considerably, but the download speed is the same. I wonder, when can I expect to see both speeds improve as expected?
Thanks.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

That'll be because your Current Line Speed has not updated. If it hasn't automatically updated you can either wait for a Forum staff person to correct it for you, or give the help desk a call.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@baward
Everything is showing fine from this side now. Can you try logging in to your router and pressing disconnect, then connect.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
baward

Thank you for the reply.
I realise I don't actually know how to log out of my router; I can switch off Wi-fi but that's not the same as logging out is it? I am on a Mac running Yosemite.
Ben
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/ explains - just select your router