cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my Plusnet speed reach the same speed as BT?

FIXED
mada
Grafter

Will my Plusnet speed reach the same speed as BT?

Hi all,

I've returned to Plusnet for the 2nd time after my contract expired with BT. My original experience of Plusnet was positive once an engineer fixed some issues on my line. I then moved to BT and noticed a fairly significant bump in my connection speed (15-20%). I've since come back to Plusnet today and notice my connection speed has dropped once again.

I appreciate there are some processes in place when the service starts again with a new provider, so can I expect my connection speeds to increase to the level of BT over the past 18-24 months? I'm happy to wait for the line to settle over the coming weeks but my expectation is that given they are both using the same network that the connection speed should eventually be the same.

I have attached some screenshots of my line stats using exactly the same router (home hub 6), on a wired connection, on the same PC, 2 days apart.

Thanks,

Adam

11 REPLIES 11
mada
Grafter

Re: Will my Plusnet speed reach the same speed as BT?

I have also attached a speedtest example.

The BT test was ran on Wednesday night, the Plusnet test just now.

As it stands, my BT connection was 27% faster than my Plusnet connection and the ping has doubled.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @mada,

Thank you for getting in touch.

After testing the line, your current sync rate is 62.9Mbps which is lower than your estimates of 65.3Mbps - 80Mbps. When the line has completed stabilisation after 10 days, if the speed hasn't increased, please connect your router to the test socket. If the issue persists, raise a fault and let us know on here once complete so we can look towards progressing the issue with our suppliers. Under these circumstances I wouldn't advise raising a fault until the 10 days has passed, this is to avoid an engineer attending and not carrying out any work due to the stabilisation period.

I must admit that it is unusual for the sync rate to decrease as much as it has and the latency increase when moving from BT to ourselves, technically the line from the exchange to cabinet and cabinet to your property should not have changed except from maybe a different port. If you had a new line installation, this would also account for the difference but I can't see this being the case with a transfer.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
feeps
Grafter

Hi Mada,

When you've swapped providers a line reset is carried out, give it a few days. It took about 2 weeks for my line to drop from 6db profile to 3db which saw my speeds increase from 40mb up to 55mb. 

I am now at my pre-plusnet speed of 62mb like when I was with Sky, only look 10months! Smiley 

Geek, Photographer, Gamer.
mada
Grafter

Thank you both for your comments. I'm in no rush and understand there is a process involved so I'll see what the connection is like it a couple of weeks time. I haven't noticed any issues so far otherwise.

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

No problem @mada

If you notice any issues, get back to us via the methods @Jubby mentioned above and we'll investigate further. Smiley

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Did you swap the router from the BT one (home Hub 6?) to the Plusnet one?

Some routers perform better than others depending on the type of cabinet you are connected to and the state of the line.

If speeds don't recover, try going back to the BT router ( instructions are available on the forum). I get about a 10% difference in speed if I switch between my BT HH6 and an older Billion router - the Billion is faster. 

mada
Grafter

Both sets of screenshots were using exactly the same equipment including the same BT Home Hub 6 router. Infact I didn't even open the box the Plusnet router came in. The HH6 router has been absolutely fantastic and the wifi reception is excellent across the house. 

mada
Grafter

Here is an update after a week.

Noise margin and attenuation have both dropped and the maximum data rate has increased to 80mb from 62mb.

If I run a speedtest the results never go above 54/55Mbps. It's almosty as if there is a hard limit stopping it going any higher. This is the same whether I'm on a wired connection or wireless.

I'll give it until Friday (2 weeks) but thought it was worthwhile providing an update. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Cheers for the update.

Your sync rate looks a lot better Thumbs_Up

I've nudged the profile on your account up to match this. 

If you retest your speeds after 5 minutes you should hopefully see a big increase.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mada
Grafter

This looks miles better. Thank you and I appreciate your help!

I consider this resolved providing the connection remains stable.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Great success, long may it last! Cheesy

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet