Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will it ever improve?

marcusk
Grafter

Re: Will it ever improve?

Update:-

So, an engineer visited and tested the line finding it to be without fault.

He also tested the performance using a BT Home Hub in place of my Asus router (as recommended by someone above) that achieved a speed 3 times faster than mine, so a blistering 3mb upload.

In a decade the service speed hasn't improved therefore. A decade! Thinking about the changes in communications technologies that have occurred in a decade that's actually quite remarkable.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @marcusk 

I've read through your thread and I'm sorry to see you're experiencing speed issues. Unfortunately we're not able to influence an upgrade to the infrastructure as that'd rest solely within Openreach's domain, but looking at the estimated speed range of your line Here you should be able to get a download speed of between 20mbps to 32mbps and an upload of 4.3mbps to 6.4mbps although we are detecting cross talk which will likely impact your speeds further. 

Cross talk is basically interference from other lines at the cabinet or within the cabling from the cabinet, as far as I'm aware there isn't anything that can be done until the infrastructure's upgraded by either adding extra capacity at the cabinet or moving everybody to full fibre (FTTP, fibre to the premises).

Having said that an engineer's not confirmed whether that's the reason your speeds are below the estimates. Our tests aren't showing anything useful as the speeds we see on the test are a bit out of kilter due to a "DSL and BRAS profile mismatch has been identified", something that needs to be investigated by Openreach.

Running further diagnostics however are showing that your router's in sync at a download of 15.5mbps and upload of 1mbps. It's also showing a line issue has been detected which would require another engineer visit to investigate further.

Please could you respond to your fault ticket 213798281 with when you'd be available for another engineer visit? If you can post back afterwards we'll make sure we pick that back up as soon as we can.

I've attached the test results below if you're interested Smiley

Standard testing:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted]

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 0.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 4.4 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1174.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-05-14T02:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 15.5 Mbps 17.9 Mbps 15.8 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 1.0 Mbps 4.4 Mbps 1.4 Mbps
Up Time 871.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-05-16T10:13:06Z 2021-05-16T10:28:06Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Advanced testing:

Capture.PNG

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
marcusk
Grafter

Thank you, I appreciate you looking into this.

So, the very best optimum performance I'm ever going to get from Plusnet (Openreach, whatever) is 32d & 6.4u therefore and there are no plans to improve this.

I'm testing a mobile router that's providing 314d & 29u, and I think the addition of an external antenna will potentially improve that. I'll give this a month's usage and all being well my decision then should be obvious to any reader.

We'll hold off on the engineer for now then thanks.

Marcus 

marcusk
Grafter

In final...

The mobile service I've been testing is providing a consistent 400+ DL and 30+ UL.

During my 10 years as a customer everything else has improved and has plans to continue to improve further still.

There are no plans whatsoever for my Plusnet fiber to do anything at all to improve.

Termination of the service is therefore the only sensible option.

Bye.