cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will it ever improve?

marcusk
Grafter

Will it ever improve?

I've been a customer now for several years, there is no alternative provider that doesn't use the same local infrastructure.

Typical speed is 12mb down and less than 1mb up.

I live in a town with a population of over 80,000, so not some remote island!

Are there any plans to improve this, ever?

I regularly make a 3 hour round drive to my clients offices as uploading work with this connection simply isn't feasible. The last year has resulted in a lot more remote working and this connection makes that beyond frustrating.

33 REPLIES 33
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Will it ever improve?

What does https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL say for your connection? Obscure the phone number in your reply.

John
marcusk
Grafter

Screenshot 2021-04-28 095955.png

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Does the openreach.com website report any plans for your postcode?
jab1
Legend

Yuk - not a pretty picture, but you should be doing better than that, I think.

Can you post a screen-grab of your routers statistics from the troubleshooting tab (assuming you are using a Hub1) - again obscuring any identifying details.

John
marcusk
Grafter

@RichardB wrote:
Does the openreach.com website report any plans for your postcode?

No plans to improve on openreach.com for my area, but why should they when they use words like "superfast" and "up to 80mb" to describe what I have now. On checking however they talk about "Ultrafast" (seriously, these words are meaningless) but it doesn't seem to apply to my address and I'm only offered a form to complete to be advised when it's available. So, no plans as far as I can see.

Cheers anyway.

2 years ago they quoted me to put fibre in to my house, £30k - then they actually telephoned me to ask if I wanted to place the order as I hadn't responded to the email quote.!

marcusk
Grafter

@jab1 wrote:

Yuk - not a pretty picture, but you should be doing better than that, I think.

Can you post a screen-grab of your routers statistics from the troubleshooting tab (assuming you are using a Hub1) - again obscuring any identifying details.

I appreciate your assistance, I don't have a Hub1, I assume that's a router? I'm using a Asus DSL-AC68U. The only thing I can see, without too much clicking of things I don't understand, is this.?

Screenshot 2021-04-28 102127.png

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@marcusk 

Do you have decent mobile phone reception? If so the obvious solution is to get a MiFi router and use the mobile network. It’s not significantly more expensive these days.

Having said that your speed is low compared with the estimate, I would expect you to get at least 20/4. Are you testing over wireless or Ethernet? What tests have you done?

Edit

I have just read your latest post. There are those who will tell you that the 68U has a terrible modem chipset that doesn’t interface well with the BT infrastructure. Have you tried a different hub?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

Not much good, I'm afraid , and I've no experience of ASUS gear, so wouldn't know where to send you.

@RichardB - Any ideas?

John
marcusk
Grafter

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@marcusk 

Do you have decent mobile phone reception? If so the obvious solution is to get a MiFi router and use the mobile network. It’s not significantly more expensive these days.

Having said that your speed is low compared with the estimate, I would expect you to get at least 20/4. Are you testing over wireless or Ethernet? What tests have you done?

Alas I have investigated the mobile option, but no, that's rather awful also. I'm not worried about the expense, if Plusnet were to charge me 4X what I pay now for the service they advertise I'd take it. As I said above, I have a 3 hour drive later with a USB key in my pocket as this service is so awful.

As to testing I'm testing wirelessly, I know that Plusnet always run to the "plug it in" comment but really, is that how people use their broadband these days (my laptop doesn't even have a LAN port anymore) and I have done that in the past, it makes no difference.

marcusk
Grafter

@jab1 wrote:

Not much good, I'm afraid , and I've no experience of ASUS gear, so wouldn't know where to send you.

@RichardB - Any ideas?

It's not the router though is it, the service is what it is, tweaks in settings here and there isn't going to change 1mb up to 40, or even 20, which I would consider usable now.

I was wondering in OP if plans for improvement existed, it appears, according to the limited info on the Openreach site the chap above directed me to, the answer is no.

But I appreciate that you took the time to reply.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@marcusk 

Whether people use Ethernet these days Is a moot point. Personally I do for every device with the capability, it’s the only way of guaranteeing the fastest, most stable connection. The relevant point is that the Plusnet contractual speed obligation ends at the Test Socket mounted in the back of the BT master socket. If Openreach are called out for a fault investigation that turns out to be your side of this interface then you will be charged for a no fault call out. Hence the advice to always test from the test socket and through an Ethernet link before claiming that the connection speed is low.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@marcusk I never said it was the router, it is a problem elsewhere, but your router stats may give us an idea where to look, if we saw them.

John
marcusk
Grafter

@jab1 wrote:

@marcusk I never said it was the router, it is a problem elsewhere, but your router stats may give us an idea where to look, if we saw them.

I had a couple of engineer visits back in the early days of the service as I couldn't believe how bad it was, there is no fault, this is the standard available here. I hoped after 7 years of no improvement that some might be forthcoming. It seems not.

I work with a number of international partners, they regularly send me screen caps of their connection speeds laughing at mine..! 

jab1
Legend

OK

John