cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I Get a New Line for Fibre

PhilW64

Will I Get a New Line for Fibre

Thinking of going to Fibre does this mean I will get a new wired connection to the house?
The reason I ask is that a friend of mine has recently had fibre installed (not PlusNet) but the BT engineer said he did not need a new cable fitted to the house.
This would suit me as I think I have a good connection at the moment and it would keep the Mrs happy.
3 REPLIES 3
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Will I Get a New Line for Fibre

Not usually.
The "Fibre" runs to your closest cabinet then uses your existing telephone line from that cabinet to your property.
The engineer may need to replace your faceplate on your master socket though but that takes a couple of minutes.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: PhilW64
Thinking of going to Fibre does this mean I will get a new wired connection to the house?
Not unless you specifically order a new telephone line. Even then most likely the engineer would just one of the spare pairs that you already have.
No, the standard process is to jumper your existing line across to the new cabinet and then back to continue as it always has done. As far as your telephone is concerned nothing changes. The engineer might visit to change your face plate but self-install FTTC is now available so it's possible the engineer won't even bother to visit you.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/09/bt-openreach-set-full-commercial-launch-self-install-ft...
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

An engineer *will* visit - PN do not order the self install option from BT Openreach and supply a router to plug into the VDSL modem that BT provide when the engineer comes.