cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi speed

Paulpj
Dabbler

Wifi speed

Evening all, my WiFi has been slow 18-22mbps , tried speed test via Ethernet and it’s 44. What could it be please? I’m in the same room as router about 12 feet away 

5 REPLIES
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Wifi speed

most likely cause is electrical interference, Christmas lights? might not even be yours! Could even be a christmas tree ( I am not kidding )

Other causes could be congested wifi channels. If you can do a wifi scan to find out which other wifis are broadcasting in your home . Maybe some other device is broadcasting on the same or an adhjacent channel.

Another common cause of interference are Wi fi Homeplugs which when a few years old can cause all kinds of problems .

Post your findings and other may suggest additional checks

Paulpj
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice, how do I carry out a WiFi scan please? Is there an app 

Baldrick1
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 58

I use the Android app WiFi Analyser on my phone to monitor networks.

Are you using a Hub One? If so log into it and in the Advanced Settings you will find the option to separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels. Identify the 5GHz channel by adding something like -5 to the name. If your subject equipment is capable of 5GHz then rescan and select that. Good luck.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 455

Hi there.

As well as the above suggestions, I'd recommend running through the troubleshooting here.

Let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
celica2012
Dabbler

Hi, I'm suffering the same slow WiFi speeds just wondering if you've found a fix for this?