cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi speed

Paulpj
Dabbler

Wifi speed

Evening all, my WiFi has been slow 18-22mbps , tried speed test via Ethernet and it’s 44. What could it be please? I’m in the same room as router about 12 feet away 

5 REPLIES 5
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Wifi speed

most likely cause is electrical interference, Christmas lights? might not even be yours! Could even be a christmas tree ( I am not kidding )

Other causes could be congested wifi channels. If you can do a wifi scan to find out which other wifis are broadcasting in your home . Maybe some other device is broadcasting on the same or an adhjacent channel.

Another common cause of interference are Wi fi Homeplugs which when a few years old can cause all kinds of problems .

Post your findings and other may suggest additional checks

Paulpj
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice, how do I carry out a WiFi scan please? Is there an app 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I use the Android app WiFi Analyser on my phone to monitor networks.

Are you using a Hub One? If so log into it and in the Advanced Settings you will find the option to separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels. Identify the 5GHz channel by adding something like -5 to the name. If your subject equipment is capable of 5GHz then rescan and select that. Good luck.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

As well as the above suggestions, I'd recommend running through the troubleshooting here.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
celica2012
Dabbler

Hi, I'm suffering the same slow WiFi speeds just wondering if you've found a fix for this?