cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi help

Leevigus

Wifi help

My wifi speeds are very good after the engineer had a look at my system. The problem I am having is very poor download speed even though the tests are showing amazing speeds.

Could it be the router?

I am so sorry, I do not know anything about this technology.

My wife needs her computer for her school work. And the children have all of their online homework, but they can not do as it doesn't download properly. 

Please any help would be much appreciated as this is driving me insane.

Thank you all so much
15 REPLIES 15
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Wifi help

Assuming your devices are all wifi, use search box here & look for 'WIFI ISSUES'.
SUPPLIED PN Router has poor wifi capability; try & configure your previous one to PN's
settings, to see if it helps.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Welcome to the forums @Leevigus . I'm afraid I don't quite follow your post - you say you are having poor download speeds, even when tests are showing good ones.

Can you explain a little more, or possibly post comparisons - this may help us to help you.

John
Leevigus

Hi John
It is so strange, my asus booster is plugged into my plusnet router. It is showing great signal. But is not connected to the Internet.

However the devices that I have connected to my router, do get the Internet but very poor upload speeds. The printer,computer and even the boiler that runs off of hive have all started playing up. Even the smart tv is saying connection problems.

But when I do the WiFi checks it is showing nothing is wrong. Even the engineer cannot find a problem.

This is why I was wondering if it could possibly be the router.

Thank you so much

Lee
Leevigus

Will try that now.

Thank you so much mate, have a great evening

Regards

Lee
jab1
Legend

@Leevigus wrote:
Hi John
It is so strange, my asus booster is plugged into my plusnet router. It is showing great signal. But is not connected to the Internet.

However the devices that I have connected to my router, do get the Internet but very poor upload speeds. The printer,computer and even the boiler that runs off of hive have all started playing up. Even the smart tv is saying connection problems.

But when I do the WiFi checks it is showing nothing is wrong. Even the engineer cannot find a problem.

This is why I was wondering if it could possibly be the router.

Thank you so much

Lee

Hi Lee. I know you say you don't understand the technology, but without some detail - like possibly a result from a speed-test site, such as Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test - I still can't quite follow your problem. If your 'booster' is showing a 'great signal' that s in itself no help - we actually need to see some evidence of the problem.

A supplementary question - are you on a Fibre or ADSL connection - which router do you have?

John
Leevigus

Adsl connection, I have brought a new cable to goto the router.
jab1
Legend

Thanks for confirming your connection type. As I said above, sight of a speed test result would be a great help, as would the information on the troubleshooter tab of your router - assuming that it is a Plusnet Hub Zero you are using.

John
Leevigus

I have a plusnet router.
The readings came back as 52.68 download and 14.12 upload.
So very good results, but struggling with download speeds on the computer and smart tv comes up with connectivity problems. Live TV loads up but keeps lagging. With those speeds that shouldn't happen.
So strange.
jab1
Legend

Right Lee - so you are actually on a Fibre connection. I'm still a little unsure why you say you are struggling with download speeds.

A couple of thoughts do spring to mind, though. It may be an idea to split the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands on the router, and do you know which version of firmware you have on it?

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Leevigus

So I am Fibre thank you.
I have split the bands like you have mentioned, the lady on the plusnet phone talked me through that process.
As for the firmware, I wouldn't have a clue, I did try to update the firmware but it seemed to be the newest version as there wasn't any updates for it.
Sorry for the delay I have been playing with the system.
Have a good night
jab1
Legend

@Leevigus Re: firmware - the version number is detailed on the Help desk tab I have asked you to post previously, and you cannot update it yourself - it has to be done by Plusnet, if needed.

John
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @Leevigus, I am sorry that you're having some issues with your WiFi and for the inconvenience this is causing you and your Wife.

I am pleased one of our team has assisted in splitting the routers' wireless frequencies and hopefully you should see an improvement with this.

In terms of your routers' firmware, I have popped over a request to our products team to ensure that the latest firmware is pushed to your router, if not already up to date. Please just allow up to 5 working days for this to be picked up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Leevigus

I am so sorry for the delay in replying.
Plusnet sent me through a new Router and now it is running really well.
Thanks again young lady have a great day