cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi extender

Psalliss
Grafter

Wifi extender

Can someone suggest a reasonably priced wifi extender/booster for upstairs in my house. Using a hub 5 with a Sky wifi booster in the bedroom but it doesn't seem to work to well with hub 5 and signal especially when buffering video is hit and miss. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
ajbrown1965
Grafter

Re: Wifi extender

Try something like a Netgear WN3000RP. I've not used one at home but we did have one in a shop I used to work in and it extended the range considerably. Although initially it looks like a homeplug it's not, as there is only one unit and it plugs into a mains socket for power, not to carry a signal. You could probably get one for less  less than £30 if you shop around.
Instructions for setting one up are here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20912/~/installing-a-netgear-wn3000rp-wifi-range-exten.... This will give you an idea of how it works. As they say on TV, other models are available, but this is the one I've seen working.
sjptd
Grafter

If you are interested in roaming access you could also consider a Fonera.  http://fonera.fon.com/ ; Around 39 euros, so about the same as a standard WiFi range extender.
This also acts as a booster as well as giving you access to the FON (including BT) WiFi network.
I can't speak for how good a range extender it is
taras
Grafter

if you have power line (home) plugs, then just get a powerline wifi access point, which is far better the WDS(extender) tech!!!!!!!
Psalliss
Grafter

Tara's - I'm using a bt hub 5 can I still use powr pljgs? I've never really understood how they work and setup
Unklelol

Yes you can use powerplug with a Homehub
I know of some BT clients being supplied with them in the past
Quite simple to use and setup, but method does depend upon the type
Then just plug an ethernet cable  into them to whatever you want to connect to
sjptd
Grafter

Some power plugs include wifi booster.  Plug 'base' powerplug into mains and into router with an ethernet cable.  Plug 'extender' wifi powerplug into mains, use wifi on device, or optionally connect devices to it with ethernet