cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi dropping out repeatedly

walker67
Hooked

Wifi dropping out repeatedly

My wifi connection is dropping out with increasing frequency. I had a similar problem about a year ago, which turned out to be due to a problematic phone connection, however this time it's different - I have tried linking the router to the master socket and it still dropped out.

It's actually making it difficult to write this post - I've already lost one draft due to a dropout.

I'm using a Plusnet Hub One router.

Can anyone help?

6 REPLIES 6
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Wifi dropping out repeatedly

Try the usual suggestions:
eg
Download a wifi analyser app, to see which channels are least busy in your locale.
Ensure you have different ssid's for the 2 bands on your hub.
PN's router has a poor reputation for wi fi, so you may want to consider buying one
such an Openreach one, which can be configured to PN's settings.
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @walker67,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your WiFi connection, I would recommend everything @Gel has mentioned.

Please do let us know how you get on.

Thanks.

walker67
Hooked

I'm still trying to work out @Gel's solution. I have downloaded a wifi analyser app. It says "signal strength -52 dBm" - but what does that mean? How might it help me fix the problem?

@Gel wrote: "Ensure you have different ssid's for the 2 bands on your hub." How do I do that? What is a band and where would I find it? I've examined the router and the guide, but I can't find any info about ssids or bands.

I feel a bit technologically illiterate. Is there a guide for people who are not very technologically competent but just want uninterrupted wifi?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @walker67 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems.

I've been looking into this and I don't think this issue lies with the wireless signal within your home at all. The broadband connection between your router and the cabinet(The green box in the road) seems to be dropping out heavily:

image15650145259522

Line tests aren’t showing the cause for this and as you've tried connecting your router into the master telephone socket, I think the next step is to look at replacing the router before we potentially go down the path of arranging an engineer visit.

For a replacement router I'd recommend giving our customer options team a call on 0800 013 2632 to discuss this as we may need to recontract you to send one out free of charge. Alternatively if you prefer you should be able to buy your own third party router using this guide to assist when setting it up.

If you're still having issues I'd head on over to http://faults.plus.net to report a fault to us.

Please do keep us posted on how things are going.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Edited typo.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
walker67
Hooked

Thanks @Gandalf - I will try to get a replacement router.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem, let us know how it goes 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet