cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi dropping, no information online, speed issues, payment issues, contacting you issues.

ryan343

Wifi dropping, no information online, speed issues, payment issues, contacting you issues.

Hi there,

Very stressed new customer. Soon my housemates which I haven't met yet will move in and I have been put in charge with finding and organising a broadband provider. Ignoring what they said I still decided to chose plus net for the promised good price and internet speed, however, I have many problems with my broadband.

First problem being that the router will only work in the master socket which is located in someones room. I have tried both broadband sockets in both hallways and neither will work (just flashing lights on router). If I have a problem and this room is locked, I will be unable to reset or configure the problem.

Second problem being that I was promised a minimum speed of 55.9 mb however I can't remember this stating that the connection would only be minimum guaranteed when plugged in via Ethernet cable. Without the cable it is about 20-30 mb. I dread to think what this will be like once there is 5 of us here let alone just myself.

The third and most frustrating problem would be that the broadband connection which keeps cutting out. This happens about 10 times a day when using my phone, laptop or my play station 4 (not just me but also friends devices). No matter the device or app, it will happen; Spotify, YouTube, Facebook, Google, Instagram and everything else the internet provides. 

This happens and will only work again if I disconnect my device from the WiFi and reconnect. If I wait for a minute or two without disconnecting it will work again.

This is extremely frustrating as soon we will be a house of 5 students which need constant use of the internet as our studies mostly take place at home/ our free time.

I have also tried to look on my account to change my billing date so it matches my start date which was the 1st of the month. I waited and opened up the account and service on the start of the month so the payments could be made at the start of the month. Once again, I have been let down and plusnet complicated this. The money is now being taken on the 17th of each month as they wasn't able to arrange my wifi to work until the 17th.

It has taken me hours to be able to write this as the information for contact addresses, chats, phone lines and whatever else has been impossible to find online. It also states no-where that you must verify your account to write a forum. I would have emailed this to you, however, I cant even find an email.

Worst customer service and broadband provider ever.

2 REPLIES
bill888
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 22

Re: Wifi dropping, no information online, speed issues, payment issues, contacting you issues.

What type of telephone sockets are in the property? (Photos would be useful)

Is the router perhaps wired to an Openreach VDSL face plate (which has both fibre and phone sockets), and the other single extension sockets are therefore filtered for telephone-use only ?

0vdslfaceplate.jpg

fwiw, no ISP will guarantee minimum speeds when using wireless because low speeds can be caused by a variety of different factors.  eg. poor location of router, internal solid walls, wifi interference from neighbours, wifi device limitations etc.

Wifi routers provided free by ISPs (except for postage) are generally poor.  I'm afraid if you need to improve wireless coverage around the property, you will have to invest in extra networking equipment and/or new cabling.  Moving the hub to the centre of the property may help.

When you suffer disconnections, are any devices wired direct to the Hub One affected too ?

Do the lights on the front of the Hub One change?  If all lights are blue and you suspect your disconnections only affect wifi connected devices, try splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi by assigning a different name to the 5 GHz wifi signal:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

Try also changing the wireless channel number particularly on the 2.4 GHz wifi band.  The Hub One is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wi-fi-channel-on-my-bt-hu...

If you have an android phone/tablet, download and install Wifi Analyzer (by farproc) to scan what channels your neighbours are using.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 348

Re: Wifi dropping, no information online, speed issues, payment issues, contacting you issues.

Hello there.

Sorry to hear you're having connection problems.

First problem being that the router will only work in the master socket which is located in someones room. I have tried both broadband sockets in both hallways and neither will work (just flashing lights on router).

This unfortunately indicates a problem with the internal wiring of the property. I'd recommend getting in touch with a third party qualified electrician or engineer to further investigate [or your landlord if it's a rented address].

Second problem being that I was promised a minimum speed of 55.9 mb however I can't remember this stating that the connection would only be minimum guaranteed when plugged in via Ethernet cable. Without the cable it is about 20-30 mb. I dread to think what this will be like once there is 5 of us here let alone just myself.

Our tests are showing your router in sync at:

Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 74.6 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps

Wireless connections are governed by numerous environmental factors. Can you run through some wireless troubleshooting here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

The third and most frustrating problem would be that the broadband connection which keeps cutting out. This happens about 10 times a day when using my phone, laptop or my play station 4 (not just me but also friends devices). No matter the device or app, it will happen; Spotify, YouTube, Facebook, Google, Instagram and everything else the internet provides. 

I'd say that this is related to poor wireless speeds as the physical connection from the exchange to your router is stable:

I have also tried to look on my account to change my billing date so it matches my start date which was the 1st of the month. I waited and opened up the account and service on the start of the month so the payments could be made at the start of the month. Once again, I have been let down and plusnet complicated this. The money is now being taken on the 17th of each month as they wasn't able to arrange my wifi to work until the 17th.

Sorry about the inconvenience caused of not being able to choose your own billing date. This is unfortunately a limitation of our current billing system I'm afraid. Sad Your bill date is set to when your services activate.

It has taken me hours to be able to write this as the information for contact addresses, chats, phone lines and whatever else has been impossible to find online.

We're available via Live Chat [during its own opening hours] and over the phone, details of which are on our contact us page over here. We're also happy to help over Facebook and Twitter.

It also states no-where that you must verify your account to write a forum.

Community accounts aren't linked to your Plusnet account so you'd have had to create a new account to post here. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

I would have emailed this to you, however, I cant even find an email.

We don't have an email contact address but we're available via the contact methods mentioned above.

Worst customer service and broadband provider ever.

Sorry to hear you feel that way, let us know how you get on with the wireless troubleshooting.

Anoush

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team