Re: Wifi Randomly dropping devices

@adam945 is there a particular Wifi Analyser app you would recommend? Thanks

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Coriorda,

I'm afraid we can't recommend a specific app over another but there are plenty available across different app stores, usually with user ratings readily available if you want to see how others have found their experience with the app.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
seebee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

If you are scanning on an Android phone, I've always used this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer 

Coriorda
Dabbler

Thanks @seebee but need one for Iphone

Coriorda
Dabbler

I appreciate everyones feedback so far. But however useful sorting out clearer channels etc may be the fundamental issus is that devices are being dropped randomly, nothing to do with signal strength see below 

22:27:27, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 02:0f:b5:77:6d:c0 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
22:27:24, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 02:0f:b5:77:6d:c0 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
22:26:56, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 02:0f:b5:77:6d:c0 IEEE 802.11: Client associated

What would cause this to happen to a static device - I can only think it is some sort of bug in the router 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Chris, as far as I'm aware those logs just mean that for one reason or another your devices have disconnected from the Wi-Fi, and there can be numerous causes for this. One of the biggest causes for the 2.4GHz frequency is interference.

Perhaps @bobpullen our products guru if he's around can cast his eyes over this. 

Looking at this specifically:

first it stopped broadcasting 5Ghz then shortly afterwards didn't broadcast anything on 2.4Ghz either 

Was that before or after we (Bob) upgraded the firmware in your router on the 6th June? 

Also please can you try connecting some of the devices closest to your router onto the 5GHz? Apart from the response above, looking through the other posts it doesn't look like you've tried this since then. 

Failing that and unless there aren't further ideas I'd be tempted to send you a new router.

Finally with regards to a mesh network, some do act as routers themselves so you may not need to use the Hub One at all. Although you'd need a standalone fibre modem as the Hub One can't be used as a modem only.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Coriorda
Dabbler

Hi 

Thanks for your response. In relation to ...

first it stopped broadcasting 5Ghz then shortly afterwards didn't broadcast anything on 2.4Ghz either 

This happen a few months ago - well before the firmware upgrade, and was a BT smarthub i had purchased.

Re your other point 

"as far as I'm aware those logs just mean that for one reason or another your devices have disconnected from the Wi-Fi" 

Yes this is the nub of the problem - what is the reason? , except I don't believe the devices are disconnecting from the WIFI, instead it appears they are being disconnected by the router somehow.  Whilst i understand the point re interference, how would two devices next to each other behave so differently in that situation.? 

I think a new router might help, though the significant backlash against Plusnet Hardware might indicate not. 

Would you please expand on your last point - could i use the PN box as modem and run the signal to another router to distribute ? or would i have to change to whole thing ? 

Many Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Coriorda wrote:

In relation to ...

This happen a few months ago - well before the firmware upgrade, and was a BT smarthub i had purchased.

Have you tried the 5GHz since then?

Re your other point 

"as far as I'm aware those logs just mean that for one reason or another your devices have disconnected from the Wi-Fi" 

Yes this is the nub of the problem - what is the reason? , except I don't believe the devices are disconnecting from the WIFI, instead it appears they are being disconnected by the router somehow.  Whilst i understand the point re interference, how would two devices next to each other behave so differently in that situation.? 

Difficult to pinpoint what the reason is as there's a lots of things which can affect wireless signal. 

If the devices are different makes and models then they'd likely behave differently in similar situations. 

I think a new router might help, though the significant backlash against Plusnet Hardware might indicate not. 

The Hub One on the firmware version you've been given should be perfectly capable and it is in a lot of environments. 

I've arranged for a new router to be sent now still which should land within the next 3 to 5 working days.

Would you please expand on your last point - could i use the PN box as modem and run the signal to another router to distribute ? or would i have to change to whole thing ? 

The Hub One can't be put in a modem only mode, which means it can't be used as a modem not a router.

Having said that what you're asking here is to setup another router as a wireless access point so that would be possible with the Hub One. While the other router will be a wireless access point, it won't actually act like a router. 

If you buy a wireless mesh that acts as a router, then you'd need a fibre modem (not the Hub One) to work alongside it. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

At present, I can't see anything connected to @Coriorda's 5GHz network.

I also notice the presence of a BT Wi-Fi extender on the 2.4GHz channel. What SSID is that broadcasting over? If it's the same as the Hub One, or attempting to extend the signal of the Hub One, then it's going to be muddying the situation and will make diagnosis more difficult.

The router's not quite running the latest firmware so I've just pushed an update to the latest that will be applied the next time the device reboots. I can't see that making much of a difference though.

My first suggestion would be to try and take the Wi-Fi extender out of the equation, and re-merge the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels if they're currently separated.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵