cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Randomly dropping devices

Coriorda
Dabbler

Wifi Randomly dropping devices

Ive had this problem ever since i moved to Plusnet - and i keep going around the same loop time and time again, so wondering if anyone here can help.

We constantly get random dropouts to random devices during the day - router is on latest firmware and line has been tested by engineer - Plusnet so called customer support have a combination of absent or ineffective, I keep saying the router is the issue but it falls on deaf ears. 

Has anyone else had this problem and got it resolved ? Thanks 

Tags (3)
23 REPLIES 23
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Wifi Randomly dropping devices

@Coriorda Welcome to the forum.

There are some suggestions in the answer to this post that I thing also apply, so give them a go. https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Slow-speeds-VoWifi-disconnects-custom-master-socket/m-...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Coriorda
Dabbler

Thanks, yes have separated the bands with no success and bought bt hub from ebay which stopped working after two weeks - might have to try again with hub but had hoped PlusNet would have a solution by now - Thanks for the suggestions

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Coriorda 

Whe you say that the BT hub failed after 2 weeks did you investigate. Occassionally the hub firmware crashes causing a factory reset and the loss of your Plusnet credentials. If so it is worth trying it again (unless of course it was no better anyway).

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Coriorda
Dabbler

Hi Thanks for your help, no think that the unit was just faulty - just unlucky i suppose. All the plusnet settings are still in place - first it stopped broadcasting 5Ghz then shortly afterwards didn't broadcast anything on 2.4Ghz either - - may need to try this route again as Plusnet support and the hardware are hopeless. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Corioroda,

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience. Having had a look over the account I can see you've been discussing this case with our Tech Support Team recently. When you've split the Wi-Fi networks on your Hub One, which network are you connecting your devices to? Is this occurring across all of your devices or only certain ones? Also, whilst this is outside the remit of our support, have you carried out any further troubleshooting with the 3rd party router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Coriorda
Dabbler

Hi - Thanks for your input

Unfortunately its not a recent experience, but a problem  that has been ongoing for months.  

We generally use the 2.4Ghz network for the extra coverage it provides.

The 3rd party router didn't last long enough for a definitive answer but appeared better - though I don't think i should have to buy additional hardware to get the service to work.  

Thanks

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for providing this additional insight @Coriorda. Is the 2.4GHz network dropping out or is it only the 5GHz network? Whilst it may not seem like the most helpful advice, I would recommend connecting via Ethernet cable where possible as this will, generally speaking, always provide a more stable and consistent connection to the router. If you are considering setting up a 3rd party router again, it may also be worth looking into setting up Powerline Adapters around the property to help provide a wired connection in rooms where it usually wouldn't be so easy. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Coriorda
Dabbler

Hi
If I could clarify the network itself doesn’t drop it just throws devices off at random. We could be sitting with two iPads on same sofa connected to same network and one will be kicked off and can’t reconnect for few minutes or the iPads will work but the tv streaming will fail. We have too many devices to use Ethernet and they don’t work with tablets anyway - thanks
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @Coriorda 

If you're having the same issues with a different router as well as our own then that'll suggest the problem's not with the router, but likely the wireless signal around your home. Buying additional equipment such as a wireless booster or mesh to boost and extend the signal may be a better way to go. 

Having said that, if your connecting onto the 2.4GHz then this is susceptible to interference so it's worth looking at changing the wireless channels. There's steps Here on how to do this if you're unsure. Also have you tried connecting some of your devices closest to the router onto the wireless network ending in 5GHz? 

Finally, we wouldn't expect you to connect all your devices via an ethernet cable to the router and having said the above, if it's possible to use a laptop or computer in this way, it'll narrow down where the issue may lie because this might ultimately not be a wireless issue, so we may be barking up the wrong tree. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Coriorda
Dabbler

Hi,

I don’t think the signal is the issue, as I said there could be two devices next to each other both with full signal both using same frequency and one will be disconnected for no apparent reason. 
the tech support guys suggested the change of channels which we did without any success so I’m not sure it’s interference. I can’t recall if the other router wa# better before it failed as we had signal to the house issues at the time so it was difficult to tell what was incoming and what was wireless. 
when it drops devices all the others carry on working fine, so it’s not a broadcast issue must be software related Rex the lease. 
here is an example of what the event log shows 

22:27:27, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 02:0f:b5:77:6d:c0 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
22:27:24, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 02:0f:b5:77:6d:c0 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
22:26:56, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 02:0f:b5:77:6d:c0 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
22:26:33, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 02:0f:b5:e9:72:87 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
22:26:22, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 8e:61:a0:35:e7:ed IEEE 802.11: Client associated
22:26:20, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 2c:54:91:f7:5d:b9 IEEE 802.11: Client associated
22:26:20, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 28:16:a8:fc:0d:4d IEEE 802.11: Client associated
22:26:20, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 2c:54:91:f7:5d:b9 IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
22:26:20, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 28:16:a8:fc:0d:4d IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
22:26:20, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 64:1c:ae:d1:6b:9e IEEE 802.11: Client associated
22:26:20, 22 Jun. ath00: STA 64:1c:ae:d1:6b:9e IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
22:26:17, 22 Jun.

ath00: STA 8e:61:a0:35:e7:ed IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated

thanks for your help

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for your response @Coriorda and I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing issues with your service. 5GHz works fine with devices that are close to the router. So for instance if you have a smart TV that's in the same room as the router, try connecting it onto the 5GHz band along with any other devices close by.

We're just trying to establish the source of the problems, because no issues are appearing on our end, if you can, please try to connect a laptop / computer to your router via Ethernet and see how you get on with the disconnections. The fact that you're getting disconnections on the 2.4GHz band suggests possible electrical interference, so if you can, please try to ensure that your router is as far away as -possible from other electrical appliances.

It may also be worth setting up wireless boosters / a mesh network to improve your wireless connection.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Coriorda
Dabbler

Hi @adam945 

Thanks for your response. 

I have no electrical devices near the router so I doubt that electrical interference is the issue. This also prevents me connecting my smart TV via 5Ghz as it is not in the same room. 

The problem quite clearly appears to be the router - as you say there doenst appear to be a problem with the incoming line - nor is it one of signal strength since. Its not connecting to the network that is the issue, it is that devices are dropped from it as you can see from the event log that i added above. When a device is dropped the network is still up and other devices are still working normally. 

I would invest in boosters / mesh network if i knew it would fix the problem. It is an expensive outlay just to "see if it helps" if the router is dropping devices due to some software issue it doesn't matter how that signal is being distributed around the house. 

Thanks 

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for your response @Coriorda

Have you tried adjusting the WIFI channel on your routers? If you download a WIFI analyser app, it'll tell you which channel is the least congested, which you can then set your routers to.

Aside from that also, please post this issue that you're having here, and we may be able to push through a firmware update to your router which may also help.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Coriorda
Dabbler

Hi @adam945 

Thanks i will look at the WIFI analyser - sounds like a good idea. The firmware has already been updated thanks but without any significant success.

Thanks 

Chris