cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi terrible since switching from Sky

rbates51
Hooked

WiFi terrible since switching from Sky

We switched from Sky Fibre to Plusnet Fibre a few months back after Sky wouldn't match their new customer offer and didn't believe that I'd leave them. Obviously they tried to get me to go back a few days before the switch and I wish I had.

In short, our WiFi is terrible, and has got worse. Neither 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz networks seem to have the same bandwidth, range or reliability as before. We kept Sky TV and sometimes its catch-up TV services don't work. My Windows PC often tells me that the network is connected but has no internet access. Every time my wife tries working from home I get despairing messages about her Skype calls (even voice only) dropping.

I don't really want to buy a new router, as if it doesn't resolve anything I've just wasted money. Prefer the ISP to be responsible for the whole thing.

Any suggestions on what I can do to improve the situation... I can't believe it's this bad for everyone, perhaps I have a faulty router.

2 REPLIES 2
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: WiFi terrible since switching from Sky

You need to find what your download speed is over a piece of ethernet cable.

If this is below your promised speed, then contact Plusnet.

Measuring speed over a wifi connection is a waste of time.

There are so many variables.

I honestly don't understand why high bandwidth devices (such as TV's) try to work over wifi.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: WiFi terrible since switching from Sky

Thanks for getting in touch @rbates51 I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems.

I've tested your line today and there aren't any issues showing with the broadband signal going into your router that's getting a download speed of 79.9mbps and an upload speed of 20mbps. This tends to indicate the issue may very well lie with the wireless signal between your router and your devices.

I'd firstly second the advice you've been given to try a wired connection as this will definitively narrow down where the issue may lie, i.e. it'll tell us if the problem is to do with the wireless signal or the issue is something else.

If you're unable to try a wired connection and/or you've already confirmed this is a WiFi issue, I'd recommend changing the wireless channels for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency in your router settings as the next step. There's a guide over here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193 if you're unsure how to.

Let us know how you get on. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet