cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi has no Internet Connection message

kaydavies2
Hooked

WiFi has no Internet Connection message

I keep getting 'WiFi has no Internet Connection' message on my phone (other devices drop out too - Samsung tablet, Smart TV). It literally lasts for a few seconds then automatically re-connects.  It can happen as little as just once a day or up to 5-6 times (sometimes at 4am!) . I had to split the 2.4/5ghz as our various mobile devices just completely kept loosing WiFi connection altogether. I believe everything is on 2.4ghz and nothing is connected to 5ghz.  After calling Plusnet I was told to connect to a specific channel but there are only 2 other routers on the same channel as me (I used a WiFi Analyser app) and why would I have a congested channel at 4am?????  Anybody have any ideas why this is happening, is it because we are only on 2.4ghz? Any EASY tips on a fix appreciated too! Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: WiFi has no Internet Connection message

Most likely it is your incoming broadband connection that is going down.

Can you connect a device directly to the ethernet sockets on the hub and see if they lose internet connection when your wifi devices suffer from outages?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
kaydavies2
Hooked

Thanks for the reply. I would have to stand at a laptop and wait for it to go down as it happens so infrequently - sometimes hours apart. We have power line adapters on a couple of devices and these have had flashing lights (means poor signal). I have made calls to Plusnet about the issue but they just tell me I need to switch channels? Surely switching channels is a WiFi issue? It's saying I'm connected to WiFi but no internet? I'm no techy person so finding the whole thing stressful and exhausting.
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @kaydavies2 and welcome to the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having connection issues as of recent and we'd certainly like to help put things right for you where we can.
Checking your connection from this side and seen on the graph below I can see there's been no drops in the last 37 days which certainly hints the connection to the router is fine and any wired connections shouldn't be dropping when your wireless devices are.
image15783190658760
Although you've mentioned you're not connecting or using the 5GHz frequency I feel the drop outs you're seeing across all devices could very well be explained by a current issue we are aware of with the latest firmware. Details and updates regarding the issue can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/m-p/1696363

I'd recommend then trying the fix we advise for this particular issue in hopes it stops the wireless drops you've been seeing. The fix is to disable the 5GHz completely and step on how to do so can be seen on the link provided or below:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4GHz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices.

Let us know how it goes and if this helps with the drops you've been seeing.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@kaydavies2 

The PlusNet router is a re-badged BT HH5 - it does the job for the majority if users but not all!!!

You could consider buying a better router which, apart from hopefully sorting your problem, might give better WiFi coverage. PlusNet have always been happy for users to use third party routers and supply the setting required in their Help pages.

You can get a BT HH6 or the even newer SmartHub2 quite cheaply off eBay. Instructions for setting up can be found elsewhere on this forum.

Brian

kaydavies2
Hooked

I don't think it's a WiFi issue as I'm getting a signal. It's saying I have no internet. The message I get is "WiFi has no Internet"?Huh
kaydavies2
Hooked

The 5ghz is disabled (and has been for some time) so all WiFi devices are on 2.4ghz anyway. We have a powerline adapter running directly from the router and the 'signal' light on that is flashing. This apparently means a "poor signal strength". If you're saying what is coming in is fine and I'm saying what's coming out isn't, then is the router the issue?Huh
Waz
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us.

Please can you provide us with your account username so we can look into this further and if we can confirm the router is causing the problem I will arrange for this to be replaced. I look forward to hearing from you soon. – Wasim