Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi degrades over time

FIXED
rbates51
Hooked

WiFi degrades over time

This is a continuation of https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/WiFi-terrible-since-switching-from-Sky/m-p/1692189

Since switching from Sky last year, our WiFi performance has been far from perfect. I've tried 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and have manually switched channels (because it automatically chose channel 1 which was heavily congested). Recently Plusnet have supplied a new router, which has not helped.

The major problem is that when I'm doing a video call (Zoom etc) I am likely to get freezes every 5-10 mins. If I have reset the router that same day, the likelihood of this happening is much reduced. My conclusion is the router has a software problem that is alleviated by resetting it.

I've attached a screenshot from packetlosstest.com that illustrates the problem.

(For what it's worth, my previous work included designing wireless devices, and I've used professional 2.4Ghz spectrum analysis hardware, so I do know the basics!)

At this point I'd just like to leave Plusnet.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: WiFi degrades over time

Fix

@rbates51 

I have read of your reluctance to buy you own router but a BT Smarthub 6 can be used. These cost very little from auction sites (https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xbusiness+sma...) and are far better. The Business version is preferred as you can also set your own DNS servers with these. Setting instructions are here:  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Plusnet cannot guarantee wireless performance and a better Smarthub should save you further frustration and is cheaper than paying Plusnet cancellation charges. If it doesn't fix your problem you can always sell it on.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

rbates51
Hooked

Thanks, have ordered one. 

re wireless performance, I agree that there are many factors beyond Plusnet's control, but the quality of their router firmware is something they should take ownership of.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@rbates51 

I can’t disagree with you. A new firmware update is due to come out ‘soon’. However under the hood will still be an old BT Home Hub 5a with the latest firmware. Whether it’s worth waiting to see if it’s any better is your choice.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

rbates51
Hooked

Just to say that following the advice of @Baldrick1 I picked up a BT Business Smart Hub from eBay for around £20 and it's been great. Thanks for the tip.

rbates51
Hooked

Sadly my router has been awful this week - looks it updated its firmware to version SG4B1B0092DE on the 12th. Not sure how frequent those updates are but maybe it's a bad one.