Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi constantly dropping out

FIXED
Nordicgod1972
Dabbler

WiFi constantly dropping out

Been with plusnet for 6 months now , before I was EE and never had a drop out and before that BT and also never had a drop out .

This is getting ridiculous now , even logging into this site I was on WiFi then it drops out and switches back to 4g on my iPhone . When ever people come over they log into my network and then it constantly drops in and out , so now most people don’t even bother to log into the WiFi network .
I have no problems with the PlayStation or desktop pc and my tado heating as they are all wired into router it’s just the WiFi , I am paying for a service that I can’t seem to use .

Can you check your end please
And also what can I do to resolve this problem
This affects all iPhones that are connected to the dual network
19 REPLIES 19
notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: WiFi constantly dropping out

"I have no problems with the PlayStation or desktop pc and my tado heating as they are all wired into router it’s just the WiFi , I am paying for a service that I can’t seem to use ."

You're not paying for WiFi, you're paying for the connection to the home.
Nordicgod1972
Dabbler

I am paying for a service and it’s not working as advertised ,what’s a WiFi router with defective WiFi but thanks for your input , If you can’t help then why comment ????
notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I can help if you wish, but you're not going to like the answer. You can either try changing the wireless channels on the router, or buy your own router.

The plusnet hub is notoriously bad when it comes to wireless. However, you don't pay plusnet for "WiFi", you pay them for access to the Internet via a wired device, as highlighted in their T&Cs.
Nordicgod1972
Dabbler

Ok will give that a go , was routing around the garage earlier and found the BT home hub , is it possible to install that instead ? I take it there might be a guide to it somewhere?
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

@Nordicgod1972 wrote:
was routing around the garage earlier and found the BT home hub , is it possible to install that instead ?

Assuming it's a Fibre compatible BT Home Hub, you should be able to use it.

@Nordicgod1972 wrote:
I take it there might be a guide to it somewhere?

This Post should help with the setup Smiley

EDIT:

If you've got a Smarthub 6, it'll be This Post

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Nordicgod1972
Dabbler

Sorted followed guide and stuck the BT home hub 5 router back place of the very bad plus net one and all working well 

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

We're really glad to hear you're up and running, @Nordicgod1972

If you require further assistance, please feel free to get back in touch as we are more than happy to help.

Kind Regards

nixy
Dabbler

I am having the same issue with WiFi and my iPhone. This is my second term with Plusnet and during the first year I never had this issue. I’ve been with sky and BT with no issues. Unfortunately I won’t be renewing again if this continues.
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hi there Nixy,

Thanks for reaching out to us here.

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with the WiFi service, are you noticing this issue with any other device? Have you tried to connect via a ethernet cable & monitor for drops?

I have tested your service today, and your circuit is currently in sync at 27.2mbps which is below your estimates - can you go through our troubleshooting guide here and let us know how you get on?

Thanks.

nixy
Dabbler

Hi. Yes I have been through all the trouble shooting steps but I am not getting the speed I should. I have tested this using my lap top and an Ethernet cable. I am managing to use most of my devices including smart tv but as I am the only one in the house I’m not using multiple devices at once. The TV buffers occasionally which obviously it shouldn’t as I’m paying for fibre. My main problem is the constant dropping of WiFi on iPhone and iPad.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @nixy,

Thank you for confirming that you have been through the troubleshooting checks. I'm sorry to hear that this hasn't resolved the problem.

I've tested your line and the test isn't picking up any problems from here and shows that your line is still syncing at 27.2mbps. Contrary to what my colleague has said, this is within the estimates for the line which are 25- 39.3mbps. As this is the case, it appears that the issue lies with the wireless signal.

I've sent you a new router to try and it'll be with you within 3-5 working days. There's no charge for the router or the postage as you're within your contract. Please let us know if this issue persists once you have the new router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
nixy
Dabbler

Thank you. I will let you know how that goes.
nixy
Dabbler

I received the new router and obviously had to reconnect every device in the house to WiFi. My iPhone started working absolutely fine - until today when the problem has started again. I had had to use 4G to type this message. It is simply bizzarre that itnknky happens with apple devices and has been fine until recently!
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @nixy, thanks for your post.

We're sorry to hear that the issue has re-occurred.

I note from a previous post that on the old router you'd completed all of the troubleshooting - Did this include splitting the frequencies and if so have you been able to split the frequencies on the new router as yet, to see if it improves things?