cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi constantly dropping out on One Hub/Fibre

S_S

WiFi constantly dropping out on One Hub/Fibre

My devices are constantly losing interest WiFi connection.

Devices inc Fire Stick, iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy and amazon fires.

I’ve changed channels and renamed 5Ghz SSID but it’s still happening. My phone is repeatedly on 4G as it drops out continuously!

Didn’t have this issue before using Plusnet and associated router.

Firmware currently 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.
Any resolutions?
9 REPLIES 9
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: WiFi constantly dropping out on One Hub/Fibre

Hi S_S, thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry for the issues you're facing with your WiFi. To give us a better understanding of the issue you're seeing, can you please advise the following:

- Does this issue affect all devices?

- Does this occur solely when specifically connected to either the 2.4 or 5GHz wireless?

- Do all devices drop off at the same time?

- Have you noticed any devices drop when a specific device is used?

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
S_S

Hi,

I assume the router event log should show the recent history.

Answers to your questions....
- Does this issue affect all devices?
We mainly use Apple and Fire devices which have the issue.

- Does this occur solely when specifically connected to either the 2.4 or 5GHz wireless?
I’ve only just split the two frequencies to be able to view. Yesterday my iPhone dropped out on both 2.4 & 5.
- Do all devices drop off at the same time?
I haven’t reviewed devices alongside each other.

- Have you noticed any devices drop when a specific device is used?
No evidence of other device interference.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @S_S, thanks for getting back to us.

From your descriptions there doesn't seem to be any patterns or something triggering the wireless issues however if you could check the next time a device is having issues if others are at the same time also please. It sounds wireless interference related and if you've only recently split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies then when picking what device uses what frequency I'd take into account that the 5GHz frequency is designed for close range stationary devices and the standard 2.4GHz wireless is the one which does most of the heavy lifting with getting the signal further and able to penetrate things like walls within the property better.
Although you've mentioned you've already changed the wireless channel, if you've only done this once I'd really recommend looking into trying a few different channels out of the 1-13 on the 2.4GHz frequency as it can take a few before finding one that's more suitable to your property. Let us know how it goes with this information in mind.

S_S

Hi,

I will certainly attempt to check alternative devices if they are to hand.

My router log shows I have altered the channels several times over the last week but the issue persists. We do not use the phone line, hence no cordless phone. In addition we don’t have any baby monitors etc that might affect the signal. Both are neighbours either side of us don’t use wireless so congestion should be relatively low.

Is there any issue with certain Fire devices being connected on the network?

Do I have the latest router software?

The reason I ask is that we did not experience this issue with our previous provider/router.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @S_S

I can confirm your router is already on the latest firmware.

Can you confirm which wireless band the devices have been connected to when experiencing drops?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
SimonHobson
Rising Star

@BD wrote:

... trying a few different channels out of the 1-13 on the 2.4GHz frequency ...

Can I suggest this is "poor" advice.

There are only 3 non-overlapping channels in the 2.4G band, and setting to anything other than 1, 6, or 11 (or 12 or 13, but our US friends don't have 12 and 13) means that your router will interfere (and suffer interference from) other devices on those channels. Eg, if you choose channel 3, then you will interfere with devices using channel 1 and devices using channel 6.

For the OP, how far from your router are your devices, and are there any walls in the way ?

I stopped using the built in WiFi a while ago because I've found it to be "very poor". Mum has the same router, and at a distance of only about 8 yards, and with only one internal block wall in the way, signal is "marginal". At home, I was having a lot of problems with my MacBook Pro - sometimes dropping out, but mostly not connecting properly. Since installing a separate access point (Unifi AC LR) and turning off the WiFi in the router, I've found things rock solid.

S_S

Hi,

I allowed the router to select the best channel on the first occasion, but subsequently I have tried 1 and 11 without improvements.
SimonHobson
Rising Star

BTW - it can be worthwhile installing a WiFi analyser to see what other networks are around. Allows you to see how many networks are on each channel and pick the least busy one. But from your description, I don't think that's the problem.

On the Mac I use iStumbler, on Android I use "WiFi Analyzer". On iOS there isn't one (unless you jailbreak the device) because Apple won't publish the API needed for an app to do the scanning.

I also have a gadget called WiSpy that I bought a long time ago. It's USB radio device that (with suitable software) can show how much noise and signal there is - not WiFi specific, but all radio signals in the band.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @S_S, as @SimonHobson advised, downloading a WiFi analyzer app will help in determining the best channel to use (and maybe speed up the progress).

Let us know how you get on.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team