cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi and internet problems

Angela474

WiFi and internet problems

We have had a new fibre service for just over a month now and we are having a couple of minor problems.
Firstly the WiFi occasionally cuts off and doesn't return. Internet is still on and all the usual lights are on the router but we have no WiFi  on any of our phones, laptop, ds. The only way to get it back is to restart the router. This happens once or twice a day, sometimes more, sometimes not at all.
Secondly, the internet occasionally cuts off and comes back after 3-5 mins. This is happening 2-3 times a day again, sometimes more and sometimes less.
These events don't appear to be linked as far as they are not happening at the same time as each other, nor at any particular times of the day.
Before I phone up support, is there anything I can do, test, change, as it will take a day or two before I know if anything worked.
Regards
Angela
8 REPLIES 8
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: WiFi and internet problems

Hi Angela, welcome to the forums!
I've had a look over your account and can't see anything obvious that should be causing these problems, however I can see that your connection seems to drop out quite consistently every day some time around 9/10pm each night. Is there anything that's set on a timer to switch on/off at this time each night?
I can also see that you've started to go through to faults troubleshooter online to raise this for further investigation with our faults team, but it doesn't look like this has been completed yet. I'd recommend completing this and then waiting a few days for an update once our faults team have had chance to have a look over this in more detail for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Angela474

Hello and thank you Harry
I did note that a couple of times the internet did drop out at around 9.15pm. I'm not on the internet then so only know what my family report to me and as it is only for a couple of mins I guess it depends on what they are doing whether or not they notice it. There is no timer or anything that I can think of that happens around that time each night. I have noted a few more times it has cut out if that helps.
With regards to the troubleshooter,i haven't given up, I got to the point were it asks to shut everything off and restart (which I will do as soon as there is no one else using the internet) and then it will take 2/3 days to see if this has helped. Just thought there maybe other things I can look at the mean time.
Angela
Angela474

Hello Again,
I shut down and restarted all the equipment. Unfortunately it hasn't resolved the problem. On 27th Oct approx. 16.35 and 21.15 and 28th Oct at approx 12.00, these are the three time that I know of and each time the internet seems to restart itself.
Now I can't find how to get back on to the troubleshooter.
Angela
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

The troubleshooter is Here
I hope this helps and that your issue can be resolved swiftly.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

We get sulking wireless and internet connections. Wireless can be "fixed" by disconnecting and reconnecting. The broadband goes dead for 30 to 90 seconds and usually recovers without intervention but sometimes needs a manual disconnect and reconnect or in extreme circumstances a reboot of the router.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@HarryB
There are multiple threads on this forum about the wireless (and other) issues with this 2704n. CSC (and others) seem to be denying a problem exists and Products seem to have their heads in the sand. This really isn't good enough and something needs to be resolved.
nicktanner
Hooked

We kept losing connection, the pattern was similar just over 24hours every time, turns out that Avast has something called Home Network Security that somehow manages to cut off the Wi-Fi when it runs and the only way to get reconnected is to turn the Wi-Fi off and on again with the button on the side of the router. Since disabling this in Avast nobody has complained about lost connection at all. It was some body on the live chat at PN that suggested this as the cause, think there are other posts about it on here somewhere too.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Thanks for mentioning that, I should have mentioned it as a possibility, but there are other problems with wireless as well sadly. In any event Avast should have come up with a fix for that, does anyone know?