cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Keeps dropping out

catw96

WiFi Keeps dropping out

Hi there,
Our internet has been dropping out randomly over the past couple of weeks. It drops out for random amounts of time, from less than a minute to ten minutes generally. It seems to be worst in the evening . We have tried the other internet port and no luck, and resetting the router etc.
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: WiFi Keeps dropping out

Hi there, 

It looks like the connection is dropping out pretty frequently (I've popped a graph below) 

Line tests have picked up on a potential problem, a high resistance cable joint. I've reported that for you and we should be able to update you further within the next few days. Here's a direct link to a ticket where I've added all the relevant details:

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=187447598

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
catw96

Hi there,

We were sent a message asking us to confirm appointments with an engineer to fix this problem (apparently if it's with the internal wiring this could cost us up to £65- this doesn't seem right as plusnet engineers set up the wiring when we joined in october/november- if there's something wrong with it it's not our fault!). I replied to the text with the three requested time slots and have received no reply (friday am and pm, thursday pm).

We have the same problem as before, but also have a new and equally frustrating issue where the network is randomly becoming unavailable- ie it disappears off all the devices despite the light remaining blue. Eventually it comes back but we have had to restart the router a few times. This is different to the other problem, which is still ongoing, as the network disappears completely instead of simply sying 'no internet'. Also, unlike with the flashing red problem, an ethernet cable allows access to the network.

This is really becoming a pain- we're paying for top quality broadband and even when it works it's been slow- we can't usually stream two separate videos at once without buffering either. 

matphoto
Grafter

I have been  having connection problems the last couple of weeks also. Tonight has been horrendous in the  WA3 area and if Plusnet do not sought their network out I will be leaving.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @catw96, sorry to hear your dropping connection issue persists. In regards to the potential £65 unneeded engineer charge, internal wiring can cause this charge yes and although a engineer may have come and installed you a test socket and master socket there are other internal parameters that could be behind the issue you are experiencing such as a device plugged into a extension socket or an extension socket itself. By all means there are steps we advise however which would rule out the vast majority of internal wiring when we recommend before these visits take place and one of which would be plugging your connection into the test socket and seeing if the drops persist.

How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the internal wiring has been ruled out and the drops persist then the only other risk of charge would be if the appointment is missed or cancelled within 2 days of the visit.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @matphoto, sorry to hear you're having broadband issues. Checking your connection from this side there certainly looks to be something out of place somewhere as although there's only been 1 drop in the last 4 days before that there is certainly enough drops to cause concern shown on the graph below.

When testing your connection however there's nothing highlighting as the cause of the drops and the first thing I would recommend is to contact your phone provider to get them to run a line test and see if anything problematic flags up.
If everything is fine on that front then we'd advise to run through some checks your side to try narrow the cause of the drops down.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242
(Given the frequency of your drops I'd recommend leaving in this set-up for 72 hours+ to see if the drops persist)

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault. Let us know how it goes.