cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi Fi keeps disconnecting several times a day

CharlieParker
Dabbler

Wi Fi keeps disconnecting several times a day

over the last few weeks my wifi has been disconnecting several times a day. Windows network diagnostics wither comes up with can't find dns server, the device is disconnected or can't find the fault at all. Often I can't connect to the Plusnet Hub One.
Customer services suggested that I change the channel on the wifi, but I've tried them all - or at least the one's that work - and this doesn't solve the problem. Resetting the router doesn't always have any effect.
I've installed the latest drivers for my Atheros AR 9285 wireless network adapter and I'm about 2 metres from the router in clear sight.
I just tried submitting a fault on the plusnet website and after going through the rigmarole and typing this report and clicking send it comes up with an error message, so I can't even submit a fault - ARRRGH!!!!!!!!!!! 

Error
Sorry, we are not able to complete this request at the moment, please try again later.

Why should I have to spend over an hour every day trying to sort out my internet connection - will you pay me for my time, since I'm effectively working for you diagnosing faults?
At least send me a new and better router if you have such a thing
I don't seem to be the only one with this problem, if you don't sort it out you'll end up with no customers left

19 REPLIES 19
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Wi Fi keeps disconnecting several times a day

Hi there.

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues with the broadband signal we're providing going into your router which suggests the issue is likely indeed to be related to the wireless signal within your home.

To confirm this or narrow down where the issue lies, are you able to try a wired connection? If you find that the issue is just to do with the WiFi can you try switching off the 5GHz frequency altogether letting us know how it goes please?

Do you also experience the same issue across any other devices?

With that in mind, at this stage I'm afraid we're not in a position to send you another router as we don't know that this is causing the problem yet but please do get back to us with the further information if you need further assistance.

Thanks again.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
CharlieParker
Dabbler

thanks for your reply, I've been away for a few days, but back to a freshly booted laptop and router...
I dug out a network cable and had no luck connecting with that despite updating the drivers on the network adapter on my laptop (Atheros AR8151) I tried both tyhe red and yellow sockets on the router
My mobile phone seems to connect to the wifi ok at 2.4 ghz,
Turning off the 5 ghz worked ok at first but after 15-20 minutes I lost my connection on my laptop and couldn't connect to the router so had to reboot the router to regain access to it and turn the 5ghz back on again. I don't know it it was switching off the 5ghz that caused a problem, or if it was coincidental.
Is it possible that Virgin Media's recent installation of their fibre network in this area is causing some extra interference on my wifi signal? I'm starting to run out of possible variables...

CharlieParker
Dabbler

I got an email re this issue from Plusnet and having already connected to the test socket and tried different fliters, I got to this bit

However if you are experiencing a wireless/Wi-Fi issue then please follow the below guide:

1.	On your device(s) select the Network icon in the notification area or Wi-Fi.
2.	In the list of networks, choose �PLUSNET-****_5GHz�, and then select Connect.
3.	Type the wireless network key (often called the Wi-Fi password).
4.	Follow additional instructions if there are any.	

Once you have completed all of the above checks, if the issue persists please reply to this message online or reply to the text we have sent to you.

my wireless network connection is PLUSNET MBKT and there is no option for PLUSNET-***** 5GHZ
the link to reply to the message online just goes to the general contact us part of the Plusnet website with no specific link to reply to the email
if I'm supposed to have received a text it never arrived

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @CharlieParker,

I'm sorry for the email that you've received from the faults advisor and for any confusion that this has caused. I'll pass on feedback. Thank you for carrying out the troubleshooting checks, including connecting the router to the test socket.

Looking at your connection, I can see that it has dropped out three times today so it does look like this is something deeper than a wireless issue:

So that we can determine the best next steps towards resolving this for you, please can you confirm whether the light on your router changes when you lose connection? Please can you also confirm whether any of your devices are on wired connections and, if so, whether you experience any connection problems on these?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
CharlieParker
Dabbler

I haven't got anything on a wired connection and when I tried it a few hours ago I couldn't get my laptop to connect

re the lights on the router, there was an orange light below the long horizontal blue bar that was on when I had the last disconnection this afternoon - I think this is the wifi indicator? - but I don't recall that being the case when I've had other disconnections and had to reboot the router, so I don't think it happens every time..

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the update.

At this stage, it's a difficult one to call - everything in terms of line testing appears fine from this side, however, you've experienced a few drops today that may indicate a connection issue. Personally, I'd suggest monitoring your connection over the next 24 hours to see if any further drops occur - if they don't, it's likely that this is either an issue that's resolved itself over time, or a wifi issue. If further drops do occur, let us know as we'd likely need to arrange for an engineer to visit your premises to investigate this further. I'm reluctant to progress things down this route initially as I don't want you to be charged for the engineer call out if an engineer attends and finds no fault (which given the above is likely).

Let us know how you get on, or whether you'd like to progress with the engineer regardless.

Best wishes

Dave

CharlieParker
Dabbler

I just had to run windows diagnostics yet again to reply to this, I've lost count of how many times I've had to do that over the last month... things haven't resolved themselves so far, but we can live in hope..
Sending an engineer out seems a bit drastic for a router that can't have cost more than 20 quid including postage

For £32 a month it's a pricey form of annoyance considering I'm connected via the 30 year old BT copper phone cable to a fibre cable 100 metres away, so if problems persist by July when my contract is up, I may for another provider.who'll charge me less.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @CharlieParker,

When the drops shown in the visual radius graph occurred, did you turn the router off and back on? I don't personally see this being an underlying issue with your connection as no fault is being found and the amount of physical drops are minimal.

To be certain that the issue is wireless connectivity, could you connect by Ethernet cable just to see if it drops in the time that it usually does. If this isn't an option, please try changing the wireless channel for both 2.4GHz / 5GHz frequency bands by following the guide below.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

4) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals.

Along side the above, do you have anything near the router such as cordless house phones, wireless peripherals, micro-waves or wireless video cameras? If you do, turn them off or move them temporarily to see if the issue persists.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Katiebbaby123
Grafter

Same here. I’m sick of the constant slow speed and lagging
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Katiebbaby123,

Please accept my apologies for the issue with your broadband service.

After testing the line, I haven't been able to find any external faults and the line appears stable while operating within the estimated speed leading up to the router.

Are you able to go through the checks above and get back to us how you get on?

Thank you.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
CharlieParker
Dabbler

only the last o the 3 dropouts mentioned in your chart involved me rebooting the router 
I've already tried changing the channels on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi - I did that for a week after I contacted the online help 4 weeks ago - some of the higher numbered channels don't work at all so there are only about 5 or 6 possibilities for each frequency band and I think I've tried them all  - sometimes I can't connect to the router at all via 192.168.1.254
I have no electrical devices near the router - in this room there's only the laptop, mobile phone 2 LED lightbulbs and the hi fi unit and there's only the fridge freezer in the kitchen on all the time. Using the microwave doesn't affect things.
things were fine until about 6-7 weeks ago
Nothing has changed since before I started getting these problems in April apart form Virgin Media digging up the cul de sac and installing their fibre system. But it doesn't seem to have affected my neighbours' BT internet
Both Chrome and Firefox are affected, so not a browser issue
the only thing I've not checked is the psu for my router

here's today's catalogue of errors while I'm still able to connect - fridays and weekends seem to be worse

07/06/19
09.52am ERR Timed Out
windows troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem
09.56am back on again
14.09pm
ERR connection reset
troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem
back on 14.12
15.36pm
dns probe finished no internet
troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem
rebooted router 15.49ish - still no connection
ran network diagnostics 15.52 couldn't identify the problem
mobile phone connects ok
16.04 reset router
dns probe finished no internet
16.14 ran network diagnostics
wireless capability is turned off
the dns server isn't responding
problem with wireless adapter or access point
16.15 suddenly I'm back online again

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @CharlieParker,

Thank you for confirming that you've been through the wireless troubleshooting checks. I'm sorry that you're still experiencing intermittent connection problems and for the inconvenience that this is causing you.

It appears that this may be a hardware issue and I have sent out a new router for you to try as the next port of call. As you're still within your contract, there's no charge for the replacement router or the postage and it'll be with you within 3-5 working days. Please let us know if you continue to experience connection issues with the new router.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
CharlieParker
Dabbler

thanks, hope it cures the problem - will let you know how I get on....

CharlieParker
Dabbler

new router received today, so far no dropouts all day - hallelujah!!