cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi dropping out all the time with Hub One...

Suarez
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Wi-Fi dropping out all the time with Hub One...

I have the Plusnet Hub One as my router.

I have a wired and wireless home set up.

My main Computer, TV's, Game consoles etc are wired directly to the Hub One or via a Negear Switch (which is connected to the Hub One).

These appear fine.

My problem is that the wifi on the box is constantly dropping. This happens on a number of devices - smartphones, laptops etc. Since it is happening on a good number of devices, my conclusion is that the Hub One is at fault and not the devices.

If I reboot the Hub One I believe it becomes a little more reliable for a short time, and then the drop outs begin again.

On the devices, the wifi network completely dissapears. Eventually it comes back. During the time, the wired connections are not affected in anyway (losing connection to hub one or internet connectivity).

Things I have tried are; rebooting the Hub One (as mentioned above) and changing the wifi channel (it was on automatic) - I used a wifi analyser app on my phone to find the channel with least interference. This didn't really do anything so have put it back on automatic. I haven't altered any other settings.

The Hub One is located centrally in the house and the walls are not thick (it's a bungalow with plasterboard and wood partition walls).

Any ideas about what could be causing this? And what I can do to fix? 

Thank you...

7 REPLIES 7
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Wi-Fi dropping out all the time with Hub One...

Try splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz by renaming the 5 GHz wifi SSID to see if it makes any difference.Adv.Setting-Wireless-5GHz.jpg

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Also d/load a free wifi analyser app*, to see which channels are being used by neighbours.
5ghz band is far less populated currently, so you could try turning off the busy 2.4ghz band altogether
on your router.
Google 'inSSIDer' app.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Splitting the wifi signal is a great way to help with these type of issues, thanks for posting the suggestion @bill888

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Suarez
Rising Star

Thanks. I've now split the Wi-Fi signals so hopefully that will help out.

Will report back either way once I've had some time with it.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Has it made any difference? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Suarez
Rising Star

Yes, I think it is. It's still not as good as my old Plusnet router's wifi performance, but separating the channels has definitely helped.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Yes, I think it is....but separating the channels has definitely helped.

That's good to hear.

It's still not as good as my old Plusnet router's wifi performance

If you have your old router and it's working still, my advice would be to use that instead. We'd unfortunately be unable to send you a replacement of the old model we'd sent previously as we no longer stock these.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet