cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi Fi Boosters

colin3
Hooked

Wi Fi Boosters

I am hoping to be able to improve the WiFi signal within my home. Router is in the living room but other rooms are a distance away (60ft plus)

Router is  a Plusnet Hub 1 , Broadband is Unlimited Fibre and is stable

I currently use WiFi Powerline adaptors from Devolo which work but can give problems

Is it sensible to run an ethernet cable from the router closer to the other rooms , say a hallway socket and then use a WiFi powerline adaptor from the cable  socket ?

I am considering asking a network service provider to quote for a solution !!!

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Wi Fi Boosters

@colin3 

I have got that working but better to fit a wireless access point on the end of the Ethernet cable. You can use some routers in this mode or buy one designed for the purpose  https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-Access-Business-WAC104-100UKS/dp/B01LWUJU8H/ref=sr_1_6?_en...
See here for more options.   https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

colin3
Hooked

Thanks for the info especially the distribution of data around the house post ...very useful. Part of this for a non tech minded person like myself is that it appears to be such an issue setting up the adaptors or WAP......lol. I will give it some more thought.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@colin3 

I have been around the WiFi extenders and Powerline units options over the years. In the end I gave up and installed Ethernet cable, which has permanently solved all my problems. Anything in my house that is static and has an Ethernet port is connected this way.

Having said that I found that spending very little money on an auction site for a BT Smarthub 6 resulted in improved WiFi from the hub. You will find more information and setting instructions for these pinned at the top of the Router board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'