cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-FI issue Hub One

FIXED
willow102

Wi-FI issue Hub One

An issue I have previously had on two separate occasions has rear it's ugly head again.

We watch many programs on BBC iplayer generally without issue, we have two TV's and a pad all using wi-fi, in the last couple of days the problem has risen that you start to watch the program and within about 1 or 2 mins picture will stall and you get the revolving blue circle, nothing to do but give up.

I did think it was an issue with my incoming signal but now after reading the forum could it be a wi-fi issue and the router, I have one computer connected by ethernet which appears to work ok.

I've tried many times to call Plusnet but the long waits are horrendous.

I'm thinking in my head could I do a factory reset on the router?  

If i were to do a reset what would be the outcome, will I still be able to connect the router to my Plusnet account and would all items connected to the wi-fi require me to re-enter the wi-fi password?

If I were to ditch the Plusnet Hub One router and buy a BT smart home hub 6 would this connect to my internet ok and do they work better than the Plusnet hub?

Thank you for any help

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Wi-FI issue Hub One

Fix

@willow102  Welcome to the forum.

If you are still using the same WiFi SSID and password, that is the ones on the card on the back of the Hub then a factory reset will not affect the settings so you can try it without any additional hassle.

The BT Smarthub is a later development from the Plusnet Hub One and has both better and more stable WiFi performance. They do need setting up to get them to work with a Plusnet connection. The setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

willow102

Well got myself a BT Home Hub 6 and my god can you tell the difference.

Took about 10 mins to set up the router and about 30 mins to set up all other wi-fi connected items (new wifi code).

But for the last 10 days not one complaint not one drop out of wifi signal.

Thank you to Baldrick1 for his step by step guide.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@willow102 

Very pleased to have been of help. Thank you for the feedback

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

westcoaster
Grafter

The 5GHz radio on the HubOne router is a big problem and there are firmware version upgrades available as an attempted fix although a permanent fix hasn't been achieved yet as far as I know.

If your HubOne firmware ends in ".263" then you can ask for an upgrade to ".273" as that mostly fixes the problem. By that, I mean the wifi connection problems seem to be fixed, but wifi speeds are nowhere near what they should be.

I kept the HubOne so I got end to end support from Plusnet but I disabled all wifi on it and bought a NETGEAR wifi access point. That solved all problems, improved speed and coverage.

willow102

I sent Plusnet the same question that I posted on this community.

They replied telling me that the Hub One was the only router they had available and if I had wi-fi problems the BT hub would be a better solution.

I can't now see what the firmware version was on my Hub One since I have removed it.