cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why?

mlmclaren
Grafter

Why?

I've just spent the last half an hour trying to find out what is saturating my connection causing high pings on my BQM...

As you can see from around 8:20 this morning my latency has been pretty high, and from that graph one would think something was saturating the upstream of my connection but I couldn't find anything... so then I logged into my router and renewed the PPP session thinking it might be "another" Plusnet router issue... but in this case it was not... so I though restart modem...
That sorted it!
So why did this happen, how often is this going to happen...
I must say while my FTTC connection has been a big improvement over my previous, I'm getting rather annoyed with these silly little issues that are fixable with a restart... but then were told not to restart equipment connected to xDSL lines as it can trigger the DLM and the other lazy boy technologies.
9 REPLIES 9
mlmclaren
Grafter

Re: Why?

OK the issue was with Plusnet routers again...
If this happens again this week I'm logging a complaint.... I have a solid connection and its being degraded by the ISP's routers beyond the local network..
Very sick of this now, no one should have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting every day.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You have posted this in fibre and then refer to rebooting the modem and blaming the router
So was it the router or the modem
mlmclaren
Grafter

My apologies, by router I meant Plusnet Gateway! (Router)
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: mlmclaren
renewed the PPP session thinking it might be "another" Plusnet router issue... but in this case it was not...

Quote from: mlmclaren
OK the issue was with Plusnet routers again...

I'm confused...  Why have not concluded that you have a faulty modem?
picbits
Rising Star

I tend to get this when my stepson plays online a lot. Mine creeps up a lot more than yours before finally dying though. Mine looks almost like a ramp then everything just stops working.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Sorry for the confusion...
I thought the issue was at the modem or beyond but it turns out that the issue was rectified when I first reset the PPP session.. I just didn't notice.
So the issue was with one of the Plusnet Gateways... couldn't say which one as I'm unable to remember as I've changed gateway about 6 times in the last few days to avoid issues.
I'm currently connected to: pcl-ag02
Which I think is still at the same place as my previous one.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: DomS
I tend to get this when my stepson plays online a lot. Mine creeps up a lot more than yours before finally dying though. Mine looks almost like a ramp then everything just stops working.

I do play online gaming on XBOX but I haven't been doing this since last night and this morning haven't actually been doing any heavy transfers even though when I am downloading at high speeds the monitor barely shows any signs of me doing so.
picbits
Rising Star

I rarely get high latency even with heavy downloads but for some strange reason, multiplayer gaming seems to kill my router over a period of time. He uses it wirelessly though (I use the scheduling on the router to make sure he doesn't stay on all night !)
mlmclaren
Grafter

Ahhh OK, No that's not my issue then... I used to have a similar issue when I was on Virgin Media and using Xbox 360 wireless to connect but that was just the Xbox 360's faulty wireless card which I replaced later on, but I now play everything wired.