cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why will Plusnet not upgrade me to 76MB package when other ISPs can?

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Why will Plusnet not upgrade me to 76MB package when other ISPs can?

the OP can have his/her own opinion if they want, it won't change the fact that i can see sense in NOT offering it.
their estimate is 32-44, that means there is more chance of it being below 40 than above.
if it's solely a better upstream speed they want then plusnet is not the ISP for them.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Offering 40/2, 55/10, 80/20 as a range would make perfect sense.
The new product could be called Plusnet Fibre Unlimited Plus to fit between the standard Unlimited and Unlimited Extra.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: spoon
The new product...Plusnet Fibre Unlimited Plus 55/10

['quote' above edited slightly see above post for original wording]  'How much is this now product, when can I get it?'  Not sure if 3 tiers is easy to fit in a £5 price range while keeping enough 'differential' between products (£15 / £17.50 / £20?) though that may encourage 'easier' upgrading (oh, hang on though, they won't let you upgrade unless their crystal ball says you may go to the ball).
Quote from: spoon
Offering 40/2, 55/10, 80/20 as a range would make perfect sense.

That would make sense but not necessarily to a company that won't offer a customer what they want (when they know what they want and fully understand the consequences).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

why are you editing quotes?
if you had kept the quote original then you would see that it said "could be called", not that there was a product called that.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: chenks76
i can see sense in not offering 80/20 to a customer who's range could creep below 40Mbps. it just opens up a can of unnecessary support worms.no matter what you told a customer, you'd still end up with complaints about only getting 38Mbps and paying for 80.
Indeed. Anyone who has ever had any kind of customer interaction would understand that. I'd even go further and advise PN not to do anyone any favours and let them have 80/20 in these cases because doing a customer favour is asking for trouble. They seem to see it as a sign of weakness and will just make even more demands.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

if it's solely a better upstream speed they want then plusnet is not the ISP for them.
I bet TT (closest price equivalent as far as I'm aware) are happy to let customers pay extra to get 'up to 76/up to 19' on a line that might only support up to 44/10 or whatever rather than arbitrarily limit them to 40/2.
Why should a customer feel 'forced' to go elsewhere?
Yes, I understand the potential for 'complaints' about only getting 40 when being charged for 80 but not all customers are this blinkered.

"I'd sell you this motorbike but you live in a 30mph limit so you can only buy a moped!"  Roll_eyes Lips_are_sealed

Quote from: Andrue
I'd even go further and advise PN not to do anyone any favours and let them have 80/20 in these cases because doing a customer favour is asking for trouble. They seem to see it as a sign of weakness and will just make even more demands.

IMO 'they' might see it as a sign of good customer service / understanding and will recommend others. (but that is just my opinion)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dannyboy75
Rising Star

It's often not as simple as that though.
In my area the only unlimited fibre products I can get are Plusnet's.
My experience of being a Plusnet customer for the last few years has also been a very positive one (and, even if it hadn't, there's still the 'better the devil you know' argument).
Price is competitive.
So Plusnet is the ISP for me. Despite that, I would be frustrated if I only had 2mb upload speed. But it doesn't mean I would, or should, 'up sticks' and find a new ISP.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: w23
IMO 'they' might see it as a sign of good customer service / understanding and will recommend others. (but that is just my opinion)
Oh some might, yes, but I spent several years dealing with customers when I was a data recovery engineer. I learnt never to do anyone a favour. If they wanted to pay extra for additional work or services then fine. But the moment any of us offered to reduce the price or perhaps help them reinstall software we were doomed.
I will always remember one instance dating back to the mid 90s when as a wet-behind-the-ears engineer I took pity on a woman. I reduced the cost of recovery by only recovering one partition (which made a bit more work for me but did save us some money) and offered to repartition her disk. When I handed her back her hard disk and a stack of floppies she got upset and demanded that I also reinstall DOS, her spreadsheet and accounts software and ensure it was all correctly configured.
I can absolutely believe that having caved in and sold someone 80/20 when they could only get 35 down that within a month they'd be on the phone demanding an engineer be sent out to get them 'full speed'.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: dannyboy75
In my area the only unlimited fibre products I can get are Plusnet's.

Is anyone else wondering if such an area could possibly exist, where you can get Plusnet unlimited fibre, but not something like BT Infinity?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm not wondering - I know the statement is tosh!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)