Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the sudden resync and high SNR

fred77
Rising Star

Why the sudden resync and high SNR

Hello,

About to switch to PN from BT, (later this week). Had a rock solid connection for ages, last one 23 days until reconnection today. Had noticed all this time my down SNR had moved from 6 to about 3, max data rate about 40mbps, (I always get actual 35mbps on reconnection). This morning modem reconnected and now have about 6 snr and max data rate has gone up to about 46mbps! A big change, but still connecting at exactly 35mbps, as always. 

I would be very interested to learn why this may have happened and if it could be anything to do with me leaving BT, or any other possible reason. Also am I being capped in someway as it is showing max data rate of 46mbps and was always around 40mbps?

Again many thanks,

John

3 REPLIES 3
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Why the sudden resync and high SNR

Could be a number of reasons why the modem disconnected and the SNR change, this time of year the weather is colder which can have a effect on some lines, and with it coming up to Xmas the Xmas lights that people put up outside their houses can cause interference which fibre doesn't like, for whatever reason DLM felt a change was required.

All that said as your service hasn't switched to Plusnet yet their isn't anything they can do your still a BT customer until the switch is done so it would be up to them to look into if your capped in anyway, once your service is switch over and if nothing has changed then Plusnet can take a look for you.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi John. There can be multiple reasons why DLM might change the SNR of a connection.

If you can PM me your landline telephone number I'll be happy to test your line to see if there are any problems this side.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Cheers for your PM. I think I misunderstood your initial post as I can see your service isn't yet live with us.

As @Terranova667 has also indicated, there can many reasons that DLM does what it does.

Hopefully the 3db target comes back.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet