cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why the bt Open Reach Router come on

tazfan
Dabbler

Why the bt Open Reach Router come on

hi i am an very happy plusnet customer just joined in my new home and then moved to fiber
an an bit confuzzed why we need to use an bt open rech router as well
this know means i need to get an socket so i can have both my phone and the two routers i know have
i no this is silly but by having to routers i now going to have an larger power bill then i need to by running two boxes
when i lived with my mum dad we had ee fiber and that had the openrech router extra built  into the ee router why has plusnet not done this to
just an qestion for other fiber plusnet customers  do you use the router that plusnet give you or get your own router for fiber seems sily to me that plusnet dont have it all built in ?
15 REPLIES 15
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Why the bt Open Reach Router come on

the openreach box is a modem, you can replace the two boxes with an all in one modem / router if you want to.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tazfan
Dabbler

but i want have wifi if i dont use the plusnet one ?
what is the best all in one to get ?
dvorak

no, you need the router and the modem or an all in one.
there are plenty of posts around the forum about all in ones and useful info here http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/board,5.0.html
Customer / Moderator
tazfan
Dabbler

why dose plusnet not give us an better all in one so that we dont need two boxes or an all in one router that works with fiber
adie:quote
dvorak

I guess they will have to at some point when BT stop doing the installs some time next year, for now that's all they offer.
Customer / Moderator
tazfan
Dabbler

its really rublish to think that even ee have one that is just one box yet with plusnet we need 2 ?
trying to find an cheap all in one router cos then it save me on power bills
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The cost saving will be minuscule but if you want a cheap one then Ebay is your best option although the Billion 8800NL is fairly cheap
I believe the power draw of the modem is less than 6 watts so about 52kwh per year - less than £6 on my tariff
tazfan
Dabbler

i read here it cost 21 pounds an  year to run an router
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/household-bills/10920520/The-devices-quietly-runn...
so i am gussing know having 2 it be 40 pounds an year
think i just buy one off them plug power boxes that have two plug when u plugin into socket for now then i can get my phone back
come on plusnet get on with making it all in one like other companies have ee talk
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

To be honest, I'd agree with Oldjim on running costs (about 6W therefore around £6 per year for the BT modem) though routers vary (some nowadays have multiple processors and lots of features and will use a bit more power).  It's quite possible that some all-in-ones will use as much power as (or more than) the BT modem + the standard Plusnet Router.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tazfan
Dabbler

ok so i guss it not going to cost much more to run the two boxes
but if any Plusnet staff read this plusnet really need to get an all in one fiber router sorted asap this not an good way off doing things like right no for me i ever got to get external lead or new router so i can plugin all the things i did once have before fiber
as right now i have no home phone as i cant plug it in anywhere
this really need to get sorted if other companies are offering an modem for fiber with wifi ect plusnet need to as well
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: dvorak
I guess they will have to at some point when BT stop doing the installs some time next year, for now that's all they offer.

That was quick thenWink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tazfan
Dabbler

Dose that mean I can have one know ?