cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why streaming is poor?

Averagejoe
Grafter

Why streaming is poor?

has anyone got a plausible answer as to why Blinkbox would start buffering when played through xbox 360 when I NEVER had a problem with any streaming from any site using ADSL.  
IPad seems ok to stream, Netflix and Amazon in HD but can I get a decent picture through blinkbox on SD, NOPE!
Go on fibre everyone said, it's better they said, well so far I can't say my gaming experience has improved, lag and rubber banding even Europe  only servers and streaming through consoles has definitely gone down in quality.
35/15 28 ping, get this pretty constant every time I do a speed test on Ookla.
Any thoughts or,answers?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
ricke17
Grafter

Re: Why streaming is poor?

I have had sporadic issues playing Netflix on the Apple TV - not too sure what the answer is.
Have you tried to delete the Blinkbox app and then re-download?
Rick.
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

With Netflix and Amazon working fine it seems very localised to Blinkbox. Removing and re-adding the app seems like a good first step. Are you connected via ethernet or wireless.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Averagejoe
Grafter

Chris,
I did a bit of googling and noticed that the Blinkbox app for xbox one had come out so tried that, which seemed to work fine, Sunday evening 6-8, peakish time?
Notwithstanding that I can't watch iplayer on the xbox 360 because of buffer, not that I have to but thats not the point, not everyone wants to or can get the next gen consoles just to stream their TV/films.
Is this a conflict with fibre and previous gen consoles, never had an issue on xbox 360/ps3 with ADSL2.
All consoles etc on wireless with approx 38/15 30 ping pretty consistently.
Thanks
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry, I'm a bit confused now.
Has the situation changed since your first post? As in that you said that iPlayer etc were fine (through a tablet) but that it was only Blinkbox HD that was having issues.
Are you experiencing problems streaming anything now on your XBOX 360?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Averagejoe
Grafter

Chris,
Sorry, to clarify,
ipad streaming has seen no change from ADSL to Fibre
Since we changed to fibre there has been significant degradation of streaming quality when iplayer and Blinkbox were played through XBOX360 and ps3, SD quality.
We now have XBOX One which I recently downloaded the Blinkbox app for which worked buffer free last night on HD quality.
There is currently no Blinkbox app for PS4 so if I want to watch a film away from the kids I have to watch it on PS3 which buffers to the point that it is unwatchable.
So, my last thought/question was, do the last gen consoles suffer when using fibre for certain streaming sites as this could be a deal breaker for those people looking to change providers or those PN users moving from ADSL to fibre?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I have XB1 and XB360 and they seem to work pretty similar. How old is the wireless adapter that you're using on your 360?
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Averagejoe
Grafter

Matty,
Not sure, when we got it I just set it up, no need to add or plug in physical adapter's, unless its an internal thing and I need to look in a menu for example?

Thanks